holdsworth orange..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nuovo_record

got the cash and the go-ahead from mrs DL to get the frame painted on the super mistral.
i fancy a nice bright shade of orange, but i have no idea what the proper RAL colour code is

NickM

Veteran
It's an good colour, isn't it? But I doubt that there is an RAL code for it - Holdsworth having been swallowed up by Falcon before the use of RAL codes became widespread among bicycle painters.

You can look at RAL shades here. What you see will be very dependent on your monitor; Deep Orange looks about right on mine.

When I asked for a bike to be painted Holdsworth orange, what I got was a kind of salmon pink - I won't name the company responsible. However, Argos Cycles did an excellent job of matching the yellow of my Kingcycle. I bet they could do a proper Holdsworth orange.

PS I expect you've already found this page? Classy machine, the Super Mistral :thumbsup:

Davidc

Guru
nuovo_record said:
got the cash and the go-ahead from mrs DL to get the frame painted on the super mistral.
i fancy a nice bright shade of orange, but i have no idea what the proper RAL colour code is

I can't remember the Mistral or Super Mistral being offered in orange. I thought Holdsworth kept that for their top racing ranges and the TdF team? No problem with using it though - that orange was very distinctive.

I could never afford the Mistral :biggrin: but had the 1966 model Cyclone which was a cheap version of it. Did ride a Mistral a few times though. Superb, and the best balanced, most responsive bike I've ever ridden. Enjoy it.

OP
OP
N

nuovo_record

i have no idea what the original colour of the frame was. i do know some of it's history though....
2nd owner bought it in the late 70's and painted it black (no orignal forks and slight ripplein the down tube)
3rd owner bought it late 80's and then it came to me rather than the tip this year.

so i fancy something a bit different.
mamanged to pick up some tange chrome forks for £5, rear triangle is chromed already
this site: http://www.e-paint.co.uk/RAL_Colourchart.asp shows the colurs in one go and ral 2011 looks better than 2004 to me

(davidc - i also own a "nuovo record" http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=35616 1 year in production and pretty good according to norman k)

OP
OP
N

nuovo_record

NickM said:
It's an good colour, isn't it? But I doubt that there is an RAL code for it - Holdsworth having been swallowed up by Falcon before the use of RAL codes became widespread among bicycle painters.

You can look at RAL shades here. What you see will be very dependent on your monitor; Deep Orange looks about right on mine.

When I asked for a bike to be painted Holdsworth orange, what I got was a kind of salmon pink - I won't name the company responsible. However, Argos Cycles did an excellent job of matching the yellow of my Kingcycle. I bet they could do a proper Holdsworth orange.

PS I expect you've already found this page? Classy machine, the Super Mistral :biggrin:

yes nick, have a "nuovo record" http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=35616 model - as the pro but headset being the only difference.
was thinking about making the mistral single speed for something totally different

mistral

Guru
Simply have to reply to this, although a bit late.

I've got an original 1980 Mistral - frame from new in a (now faded) bright red. As mentioned it's a lovely ride.

I also have a very beautiful 1952/3 Holdsworth, I think it's a La Variable, but not been able to confirm. Has chrome forks & rear end, it's in a sorry state right now but will be beautiful when restored.

Deliberating who to use to re-spray, can't really afford Argos, although probably should go there.

Any experience of Mario Vaz?

repairtec

Allen Badged Holsworth 531'er

I've got a 1968 Allen of Thorton Heath near Croydon badged Holdsworth orange coloured 531 frame with chrome italian forks and stays loaded with Campag Nouvo Record bar end changers, Universal brakes Unica Nitor saddle Mavic Montlery rims and Del Assandro Tubs ( since perished and swapped for Vittoria's Secrets ;) ) goes like the clappers and was used by my daughter up till 1995 the local RC could'nt keep up with her on the flat she's since got a Cadex FR2 from which I've pinched the Maxx's tyres from, they run and sound like tubs they are miles better than Hutchinson Chrono Golds or Michelin Supercomp.

Pix ASAW

NickM

Veteran
mistral said:
Deliberating who to use to re-spray, can't really afford Argos, although probably should go there.

Any experience of Mario Vaz?
Yes. I think that with bike painters you get what you pay for. Vaz is fine for single colours; for anything more complex I'd go to Argos.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I think my tatty Holdsworth is very early judging by the 531 plain guage tubes, pencil stays and lovely lugs. Originally orange, resprayed by Mosquito Cycles IIRC in London in the early '80s in plain blue (sob) I should have had a proper Holdsworth job, but I had it done on my student grant!
Mostly ridden as a fixie since about 1984, now siths on the turbo in the garage as the forks developed an alarming twist!
Nice lugs though...

OP
OP
N

nuovo_record

mistral said:
Simply have to reply to this, although a bit late.

I've got an original 1980 Mistral - frame from new in a (now faded) bright red. As mentioned it's a lovely ride.

after all that i got it done in bright red!

Top Bottom