Holdsworth Professional Racing Bike Limited Edition 070 of 150 FOR SALE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

Cris Capper

Good morning,

It's always hard to say what special edition used bikes are worth but...... :sad:

I remember when these were new at £2.5k and they ended up being offered with something like an £800 discount to get rid of them.

Raleigh did a Team Replica in Reynolds 525 at £2k and limited to 125 bikes, these ended up being available at £1K!

The more recent 753 Raleigh Team Replica is still available although not yet offered at a discount and this was 200 bikes (£2.5k) and 50 frames (£1.5k).

I remember that @Gunk was trying to sell his Raleigh 525 replica and it either didn't sell or was not an easy sell.

The problem with these types of bikes is who wants them and at what price? A lot of people, like me, think wow that's nice followed by how much? All three mentioned here had a massive price premium for being limited editions, the 525 Raleigh was probably worth around £1k-£1.2k, the 753 Raleigh around £1.5k as a complete bike, it has a lot of low end parts and the Holdsworth around £1.7k as it was better equipped.

I appreciate that the Holdsworth is a much better specified bike than the two Raleighs, but it was not, as far as I am aware made in the UK, at least when Plant-X bought the name and did a 753 frame, the frame was hand built in the UK.

If you are prepared to wait, quite possibly for a long time then who knows what you will be able to get but if you look at it as a bike and ignore the hype associated with its launch you have a 725 frame, Campag Athena and decent wheels but it is still 10 years old.

So I would suspect that if you want to sell it you would be looking in the £500-£800 range, being Campag equipped is a negative in the used market which won't help, nor will a CF fork go down well with many people who want a steel frame. Any more than this and you are probably looking for someone who specifically wants "one of these".

Not that long ago I saw a 1970/1980s Raleigh in Red/Black team colours go for £800 on ebay and an almost identical bike, just a different name fail to start at £250. There are also a lot of bikes being offered at high prices on ebay, £1k for an almost unused 1980s 753 with Shimano 105, which don't sell but these prices still become the perceived market value. Clearly there is no harm in listing at any price the seller wants, they may get lucky.

A few years back I bought a used Jamis, almost unused but 3/4 years old, carbon fibre and Ultegra Di2 for £850 from a dealer with a warranty, only a few months, but long enough to cover the bike breaking into two parts the moment that it left the shop.

Bye

Ian

Thank you very much Ian, that is extremely helpful and hugley informative. Thank you for taking the time to write all that. I will take you advice and have a think as to what to do with the bike.

Hugely appreciated and thanks for your time :smile:

Cris

Gunk

Guru
I remember that @Gunk was trying to sell his Raleigh 525 replica and it either didn't sell or was not an easy sell.

They are a very limited market, I did end up selling it but not for what I thought it was worth.

Top Bottom