Holidays

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Egypt, inevitably Sharm El Sheikh, Naama bay.
40 degrees plus, every day for 2 weeks, it began to wear a bit after a while TBH. Still, i'd sooner have a hot one than a wet one eh !

4 star hotels dont rate with a Spanish 4 star for instance, although perhaps that was just my hotel. Staff were excellent, food was 'ok', a bit bland, but one highlight was the day they did burger and chips...i never saw the resturant so full...Italian, Egyptian, russian and british holidaymakers clamouring for a burger. That maybe indicated it wasnt just me who found the food bland and samey.

Naama Bay, not big, not small, typically full of bars and trinket shops....but all in all ok.
One day at the aqua park (not the Cleo one) which was good, nowhere near as busy as similarl parks in Spain, but the rides were just as good.

Got the sh1ts inevitably :biggrin: and had one day where i really didnt feel well, but it passed.

Snorkelling..out of this world. Naama beach is ok but busy, we spent all our time at Hadaba beach...OUTSTANDING.

You swim in water bristling with so many varieties of fish and coral its mind boggling. I saw Lion Fish (also called turkey fish), highly poisonous, like a bulldog with feathers :biggrin: , Blue Spotted Stingray (ooer, gave them a wide berth but at the same time fascinated to see them), Groupers of different kinds, bloody massive some of them, trigger Fish...so many beautiful fish its impossible to remember them all, they literally swim right in front of your mask. Fabulous. |Imagine going to an english beach...1000 people per square yard it seems. Hadaba beach, maybe a mile long,(relatively) beautiful, crystal clear waters...hardly a sole on it around lunchtime.

Then the downside...bloody shopkeepers :angry: . Evey trick in the book to try to het you to part with money. even though i've worked in Egypt and knew what to expect, it still got on you after a short while.

No escape from the heat in the evenings and night...if you went into town at say 10pm..its like walking into an open oven...jesus.

One thing was confirmed in my mind, a conclusion i'd been coming to for some years. the British get a slating when abroard. We're no worse than the Russians, Italians or Greeks i see year after year. They're rude, arrogant, mardy and a general pain in the ar$e. The russians get a real slating...ive heard it personally from the Spanish, Cypriots and now the Egyptians....no-one likes the Russians. :biggrin:

How was yours ?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Mine starts on Sunday
biggrin.gif

snorri

Legendary Member
How was yours ?
Mine was good, but very different, didn't meet any Italians, Greeks or Russians, and only came across 7 Brits in two groups in 6 weeks. Only rained on 3 days, temp never more than comfortable, went skinny dipping once in a fishless pool, never had any burgers, the natives were without exception friendly and helpful in each country I visited. Although there was a little graft and corruption among rail staff at one point, more amusing than annoying.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Mine was good, but very different, didn't meet any Italians, Greeks or Russians, and only came across 7 Brits in two groups in 6 weeks. Only rained on 3 days, temp never more than comfortable, went skinny dipping once in a fishless pool, never had any burgers, the natives were without exception friendly and helpful in each country I visited. Although there was a little graft and corruption among rail staff at one point, more amusing than annoying.

I'm still waiting for the write-up Snorri!

Mine seems so long ago I can hardly rmember it.

Each to his own gbb, but that sounds like my worst holiday nightmare - too hot, non-indigenous tourists and burgers. Still, if we were all going the same way, there'd be nobody comin back, as my Gran used to say. :wacko:

mr Mag00

rising member
2 weeks on the Gower. excellent!

A triathlon, boogie boarding, surfing, running, swimming, cycling! my kinda trip

oh and 5 birthdays in 2 weeks of those attending so great fun had by all, i hope! 9 of us for 2 weeks and people came and went for a few days at a time at one point 25 people, it was great fun. the weather was better than last year. 2 wet days some windy days but the best we could get for 2 weeks camping

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Mine started a month ago when the kids went to spain with my folks! me and Mrs Wigs joined them for 12 days and came back last week and the boys land later on today!

Loved the description of Egypt gbb... Lived there for a year working as a scuba dive guide, once the locals realise you are not a tourist and they dont have 7-14 days to sell you as much stuff as possibly they are some of the friendliest most hospitable and generous people I have ever known, if i had no kids or wife I would move back in a heartbeat!

only another 6 weeks to wait!<BR><BR>the long weekend in Jersey in may and visit to catch back end of winter olympics in feb don't count because they were less than 2 weeks off work!!! <BR><BR><BR>edit: sp.

Shaun

Founder
I'm off to Bognor for a week of fun at Bultins ... yippeeeee!!!! :hello:

Bit of this ... :cheers: ... and hopefully none of this ... :cold: ... unfortunately, none of this either ... :bicycle: ... and if we get this ... :rain: ... instead of this ... :sun: ... I'll just head indoors and do some of this ......... :reading: ... or maybe more likely, this ... :hungry:

Who knows ... might even get a bit of this too when Ms. Admin crashes out and goes to sleep ... :smooch: ... :blush:

Top Bottom