Holy ****

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
That's just outside Luton isn't it?

Globalti

Legendary Member
There was a truck lying on its side wedged across the M66 this morning. Dashed inconvenient.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
The penultimate one at least got into the other lane.
That's just horrible.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
When I was little I cycled to Castleford from Woodlesford, SE of Leeds- on my own, for an adventure, when I was 7- scared my mum half to death when she found out as they'd only just let me go off the end of the street that year. I used to always stop in at the kerbside whenever I heard a loud exhaust approaching behind me, usually motorbikes, as the shock of them passing while pedaling was unsettling....

I still do that now when I hear a really powerful car approaching on our particularly twisty lanes between high hedges. One Sunday morning it saved me from serious injury when a Subaru Impreza came racing round a bend far too fast for the forward visibility, followed by a Lotus and a Porsche, and would have taken me out, or anything else in the driver's path, had I still been in the road. The quieter the rural roads, the faster and more dangerous these people are [because they don't expect anything to be there].

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The quieter the rural roads, the faster and more dangerous these people are [because they don't expect anything to be there].
It's funny, I was saying exactly that to a friend t'other day...how people always say 'ooh, I don't know how you cycle in London,' whereas the truth is, London is no big deal because the traffic is a) slow & b) predictable. It's out in countrysideland that things get hairy.

I had a few close calls a few years back when I was cycling in Oz.

The worst one was when I'd reached my highest known speed on a bike (75 km an hour - downhill, of course) and fully loaded.

The sound/noise gets you first, very closely followed by the turbulance, and then the inevitable red/brown cloud of dust that stays in the air for far too long afterwards, and getting in (nearly) every orifice.

Top Bottom