Holyhead to Pembroke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jvty

Helleo, Any suggestions on a Leisurly Cycle route from Holyhead to Pembroke taking in Coast and Towns during April...
Many Thanks,
jvty

Helleo, Any suggestions on a Leisurly Cycle route from Holyhead to Pembroke taking in Coast and Towns during April...
Many Thanks,
jvty
Well, since this is the Touring and Adventure Cycling forum...^_^
Hop on a ferry to Dublin, follow the Irish coast counter clockwise to Rosslare and grab a ferry to Pembroke!^_^

Sorry! Couldn't resist.

I'm sure more knowledgeable folks can help better, but in the meantime https://cycle.travel/map is great for planning routes (although it tends to avoid towns) or try searching routes on RideWithGPS (actually using them though may need a subscription now, though).

I think I recall a video made several years ago of someone taking mainly offroad options in those parts. Try having a look on Youtube if that's your thing.

Good luck!

Ajax Bay

Guru
I had a similar route on the stocks and have adapted it for you: 383km + 5071m. Could cut out at least 1000m and 100km.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34996187?beta=false
Holyhead, Caernarfon, Snowdonia, Harlech, Barmouth bridge, Tywyn, Borth, Aberystwyth, Aberaeron, New Quay, Aberporth, Cardigan, Nevern, Presselis, Porthgain, Abereiddy, St David's, around St Bride's Bay to Little Haven, Johnston and down cycle track, Neyland bridge, Pembroke
1610296451893.png

I have ridden about 2/3 of these roads. Google Walking (shortest)
Look forward to hearing how you get on, once we are closer to 'normal' and cyclists have access to Wales.
Commentary: B roads across Anglesey, cycletrack to Caernarfon (castle), into/over Snowdonia (option with good cyclepath to go 'round (// A487)), Harlech castle, Barmouth footbridge, Aber Dsynni footbridge, Cwm Maethlon valley east to Machynlleth, A4876 but cut west to Borth, cycletrack across and up the Ystwyth, after New Quay (optional but OP did say coast and towns :laugh:), option to go via Newcastle Emlyn rather than Cardigan, NB Nevern Crosses, Mynydd Preseli not to be missed, (whereas Fishguard is), visits to Porthgain and Abereiddy optional but recommended, same for St David's cathedral, St Bride's Bay havens/bays from Solva and Newgale south to Little Haven, ESE to pick up Westfield Pill (Neyland) railway track at Johnston.

Last edited:

FatAndy

I had a similar route on the stocks and have adapted it for you: 383km + 5071m. Could cut out at least 1000m and 100km.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34996187?beta=false
Holyhead, Caernarfon, Snowdonia, Harlech, Barmouth bridge, Tywyn, Borth, Aberystwyth, Aberaeron, New Quay, Aberporth, Cardigan, Nevern, Presselis, Porthgain, Abereiddy, St David's, around St Bride's Bay to Little Haven, Johnston and down cycle track, Neyland bridge, Pembroke
View attachment 568274
I have ridden about 2/3 of these roads. Google Walking (shortest)
Look forward to hearing how you get on, once we are closer to 'normal' and cyclists have access to Wales.
Commentary: B roads across Anglesey, cycletrack to Caernarfon (castle), into/over Snowdonia (option with good cyclepath to go 'round (// A487)), Harlech castle, Barmouth footbridge, Aber Dsynni footbridge, Cwm Maethlon valley east to Machynlleth, A4876 but cut west to Borth, cycletrack across and up the Ystwyth, after New Quay (optional but OP did say coast and towns :laugh:), option to go via Newcastle Emlyn rather than Cardigan, NB Nevern Crosses, Mynydd Preseli not to be missed, (whereas Fishguard is), visits to Porthgain and Abereiddy optional but recommended, same for St David's cathedral, St Bride's Bay havens/bays from Solva and Newgale south to Little Haven, ESE to pick up Westfield Pill (Neyland) railway track at Johnston.

I rode some of these when I cycled from Haverfordwest to Aberystwyth and then cut east to follow the Lon Las Cymru into Cardiff. Highly recommended, but this stretch was my least favourite, including a few very close passes from trucks on the stretch between the two Aber's.

Top Bottom