Hope Carbon Road Wheels - What like?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dhd.evans1

Story time:

I have been a Fulcrum fan and then a Mavic man for the last 7-8 years. I commute on Mavic Aksiums these days and use my Mavic Ksyriums as my 'good' wheels.

My next goal was to be a set of Mavic Cosmics, possibly carbon, as my 'best' wheels. LBS left me gobsmacked when they said they could do the carbon Cosmic wheelset, tubeless, for around £400. I had always viewed Cosmics as being close to the £700-800 range for wheels so this seems like a bargain to me.

I was ready to be bent over for around £800 for a set of wheels and now I've been offered a set of these for £800:

1642505980032.png

As I well know, more expensive doesn't mean more better-er. Having never ridden Hope wheels as well I am hesitant to spunk this kind of money on a product I have no experience with. Does anyone who rides road (specifically sportives and distance) have opinions/feelings/facts on Hope wheels?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Not Hope as I've no personal experience, but if you're spending £800 I'd want a hand-built set for that price. My son's just had a bespoke pair of track wheels by NR6 Cycles and a disc-brake set would probably come in your price bracket (for clarity they're one of his sponsors):

Langdale_NR6.JPG

He's also got a pair of disc wheels from Zed Wheels, which he'll be racing on this year, who have a very good reputation and they have road/gravel wheels in their sale plus standard pages which would meet your price bracket.

OP
OP
dhd.evans1

dhd.evans1

Not Hope as I've no personal experience, but if you're spending £800 I'd want a hand-built set for that price. My son's just had a bespoke pair of track wheels by NR6 Cycles and a disc-brake set would probably come in your price bracket (for clarity they're one of his sponsors):

He's also got a pair of disc wheels from Zed Wheels, which he'll be racing on this year, who have a very good reputation and they have road/gravel wheels in their sale plus standard pages which would meet your price bracket.

What are his thoughts on the NR6 wheels and the Zed wheels?

T4tomo

Guru
He's also got a pair of disc wheels from Zed Wheels
I keep thinking I might grab a pair of those for my best bike as you've mentioned them before. The only justification is the OH's stock wheel on her road bike are quite heavy so she would benefit from my then surplus Fulcrum racing 5s...would just have to ensure she didn't nick the Zed's.^_^

hard to tell from the colour - is Tim claiming Italian or Irish heritage?

Kernow_T

Über Member
Story time:

I have been a Fulcrum fan and then a Mavic man for the last 7-8 years. I commute on Mavic Aksiums these days and use my Mavic Ksyriums as my 'good' wheels.

My next goal was to be a set of Mavic Cosmics, possibly carbon, as my 'best' wheels. LBS left me gobsmacked when they said they could do the carbon Cosmic wheelset, tubeless, for around £400. I had always viewed Cosmics as being close to the £700-800 range for wheels so this seems like a bargain to me.

I was ready to be bent over for around £800 for a set of wheels and now I've been offered a set of these for £800:

View attachment 627150

As I well know, more expensive doesn't mean more better-er. Having never ridden Hope wheels as well I am hesitant to spunk this kind of money on a product I have no experience with. Does anyone who rides road (specifically sportives and distance) have opinions/feelings/facts on Hope wheels?
Could they do me a set at £400 too🙄👌👌🤣?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
What are his thoughts on the NR6 wheels and the Zed wheels?

He tested the NR6 wheels on Sunday at Derby and the verdict; "good and quick". @T4tomo - Tim's Irish on his UCI licence as his mum's Irish. They're not stickers with the name and flag painted under the laquer. If we ever re-sell the wheels he'll need to find and Irish/Italian rider called "Tim Lane" :laugh:

The Zed wheels are decent as well. Zed had an issue with the hubs last year and simply replaced them with better ones for customers. When purchasing the wheels I went down to Zed and was impressed with the set-up there.

OP
OP
dhd.evans1

dhd.evans1

Could they do me a set at £400 too🙄👌👌🤣?
🤣🤣 Absolutely! They're disc-only from Spokes Cycles in Dundee. ;)

OP
OP
dhd.evans1

dhd.evans1

He tested the NR6 wheels on Sunday at Derby and the verdict; "good and quick". @T4tomo - Tim's Irish on his UCI licence as his mum's Irish. They're not stickers with the name and flag painted under the laquer. If we ever re-sell the wheels he'll need to find and Irish/Italian rider called "Tim Lane" :laugh:

The Zed wheels are decent as well. Zed had an issue with the hubs last year and simply replaced them with better ones for customers. When purchasing the wheels I went down to Zed and was impressed with the set-up there.

Now weighing a couple of options up; Mavics are out (they're disc only :sad:), Hope for £800, NR6 or Zed for £800, or a second hand set of Wheelsmith 38mm Novatec Carbon Tubs at £300.

One of these things is not like the other.

T4tomo

Guru

Or some suitable sized stickers for the new owner!:laugh:

Top Bottom