Hope you had a better day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vigomag

Über Member
Well after some deliberation I decided to purchase my first road bike after having a hybrid for 3 years and went out today for first get to know you ride...
1) Found the gear changing extremely diffidult to adpat too
2) Found riding postion also difficult
3) Got 1 puncture but in 2 places ( only had 1 whole time using hybrid)
4) Put spare tyre on but must have knicked the tube and went flat again .... walked the last two mile home as was sick as a chip :angry:

I have repaired the pucture but when attempting to put tyre back on must have knicked the tube again (must be a knack to repair road bikes?)
so have gave up for the day/week/month/year! anyone wanna buy a bike?...now wheres that hybrid

TVC

1) Found the gear changing extremely diffidult to adpat too - It will come, what shifters do you have?
2) Found riding position also difficult - In what way? were you trying to ride on the drops all the time?
3) Got 1 puncture but in 2 places ( only had 1 whole time using hybrid) - Just bad luck, forget about it
4) Put spare tyre on but must have nicked the tube and went flat again - See above. Also, just check the inside of the rim, make sure there isn't something there that shouldn't be.

Your next ride will be better, roadies do take a little getting used to, they can feel twitchy to start with and in my experience are a little less forgiving if you haven't got the set up just right. Persevere.

HovR

Über Member
were you trying to ride on the drops all the time?

This is a good point. The two or three people who I've let have a go on my road bike (who are new to road biking, or biking in general) go straight for the drops not even realizing the hoods are an option. Top left in the image below is the standard hand position for most riders, apologies if you are already aware of this!

bar_drop_4.jpg

When changing the tube did you remember to check inside and outside the tire for the sharp object that caused the puncture? It is often still in the tire.

It should come with time. The gear changing is slightly different but not too hard to get your head around really. :smile:

Reactions: TVC

Crankarm

Guru
This is a good point. The two or three people who I've let have a go on my road bike (who are new to road biking, or biking in general) go straight for the drops not even realizing the hoods are an option. Top left in the image below is the standard hand position for most riders, apologies if you are already aware of this!

bar_drop_4.jpg

When changing the tube did you remember to check inside and outside the tire for the sharp object that caused the puncture? It is often still in the tire.

It should come with time. The gear changing is slightly different but not too hard to get your head around really. :smile:

Where are the one handed and no handed diagrams?

Yup to all the above.

Where did you buy the bike from? Did they make sure the bike was the right size and was it at least generically fitted to you when you collected it?

Have a look at THIS site regarding bike fit, you might find something useful to help with the riding position.

Top Bottom