horrible BB? noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

young Ed

Veteran
so i have noticed for i while now and only today did i really think about it and used a tiny bit of brain power
so the noise like something scraping against something else so i went through logically
i disconnected the rear brake only and rode a bit, still got the noise
reconnected rear brake and disconnected front brake and rode a bit, still got the noise
connected both brakes back up properly and kept on riding and noticed i only get it when pedalling and as it sounds like it coming from further forward on the bike i suspect it may well be BB rather than free wheel

so what do you guys and gals reckon?
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
doesn't really sound like metal scraping some sort of plastic maybe?
and i get it only at one certain point of every crank rotation
Cheers Ed

Cyclist33

I had something - won't say similar as impossible to thus posit without being there - but I couldn't ID the problem, for a long time, but it turned out it was a pedal. It must have had a bit of grit in or had just become degraded or was just crap or whatever. Anyway, pedals changed = noise went away. The same pedals on different bikes produced exactly the same effect so I'm reasonably sure it was them that was the issue.

screenman

Legendary Member
One of the most common noises that is hard to find where it comes from is saddle rails or seat post. So do you get the noise when you are out of the saddle?

Whilst on about noise, another very common one is from where the gear cables enter onto the down tube, amazing how quiet a tiny drop of oil makes those, I know of many a headset being replaced because of that one.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
will check pedals and all else upside down when i have time i doubt it is seat post/rails as i get it weather sitting or standing
will check crud etc in cable guides
Cheers Ed

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I had similar to C33 A clicking noise as the cranks reached a certain spot as they turned. After weeks of it driving me nuts, and oiling / cleaning just about every moving part, I finally sprayed the pedals with WD40, where they connect to the crank arms. It cured it immediately and it's been fine ever since. I'm not sure you are really supposed to use WD40 on bikes, but it was either that or go crazy with the clicking noise!

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
I had similar. A clicking noise as the cranks reached a certain spot as they turned. After weeks of it driving me nuts, and oiling / cleaning just about every moving part, I finally sprayed the pedals with WD40, where they connect to the crank arms. It cured it immediately and it's been fine ever since. I'm not sure you are really supposed to use WD40 on bikes, but it was either that or go crazy with the clicking noise!
will be on the case of those pedals then
psst don't tell anyone but before i used to be a proper cyclist and just commuted on a cheap rubbish bike i used to only ever do any chain lubing when i had a visit from the PF ( not very often) and used WD40 for it! :ohmy:
Cheers Ed

Glow worm

Legendary Member
psst don't tell anyone but before i used to be a proper cyclist and just commuted on a cheap rubbish bike i used to only ever do any chain lubing when i had a visit from the PF ( not very often) and used WD40 for it! :ohmy:
Cheers Ed

You said it quietly so I reckon you got away with it :thumbsup:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
One recommended method for checking if the BB has problems is to temporarily take the chain off the front chain ring, and then spin the pedals while listening to the BB. If there's anything wrong in there***, you'll quite possibly hear it even when the pedals aren't pulling the chain. That's my tip based on limited experience, though, so hopefully someone with more experience than me can help you better :smile:.

*** e.g. for cartridge BB (the only type I've done maintenance on, by the way): star nut on drive-side pedal is done up too tight, or the cartridge bearings are worn.

sazzaa

I have a clicking noise, so thanks to this thread, I know now what to check. Actually love this forum sometimes :wub:

Top Bottom