Horrific!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

weareHKR

Screenshot_20210428_103435.jpg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Oh I do hope the attempted murderers left evidence that identifies them! :cursing:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
just playing devils advocate, unless that's on dedicated MTB trail centre- in which case you would be hurtling down it at speed and none of the following stands up, that is very visible if you are cycling along a bridleway, in which case, if you couldn't get stopped in time for that you are likely to be a major menace to horses, pedestrians etc who have equal right to use that bridleway. So whilst its a fecking stupid thing to do to put that obstruction there, its not attempted murder or likely to maim someone, when compared with say the placing of barely visible wire at neck height

EDIT - the tweet does suggest it is on "MTB trail" what ever that means, so if that is a trail closed to pedestrians then hang em and flog em.

- "If I'd seriously meant to injure anyone, I'd have used near-invisible steel wire at neck height, officer!"

- "Fair point, on your way sonny. And drive carefully now!"

Drago

Legendary Member
The police are a little hamstrung there.

It can't be attempted murder, as there was doubtless no one there when the scumbags placed it. The points to prove for the offence are not met.

You can't recklessly murder someone, or attempt to do so, and until someone get hurt there is no assault to prosecute.

If someone did actually die you could have a manslaughter, but you can't have attempted manslaughter, so that dog doesn't bark until there is a corpse.

We're looking at criminal damage to the fence, or may be public nuisance if its a brave bobby and a lenient custody sergeant.

It is an offence to deposit any item on or above a highway that could endanger a user of that highway, but I'm unsure of the status of that track and it seems doubtful the definition of a highway would apply. No ball game there.

And even if there were a crime, there clearly aren't any witnesses and the scumbags we very cunning in not leaving a written confession with a map to their home aderess at the scene.

So the law is a bit J. Arthur on that one until after someone has been hurt or killed. Instead of berating the dibble for having the temerity to not call in the SAS, we should perhaps be lobbying our MPs for legislation to make this sort of thing a specific offence in its own right, without having to wait for unpleasant consequences to trigger a higher offence.

Top Bottom