Hotels - I'm not one to complain but......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Stayed at the Oxford Barcelo this week, not my choice but there we go.....

Anyway, the Barcelo, if you check their website, likes to think of itself as one of these trendy hotels - hip if you like. Great place to stay and fantastic food etc., etc.

The rooms were standard volumetric boxes with no natural ventilation as is typical these days - who wants to breath air?! Apart from being small with too much furniture and a huge telly it was okay-ish if you like that kind of thing. The bathroom was tiny and the grout was grotty, I think they come like this even when new.

The bar was one of these modern wood affairs, no atmosphere and bloody expensive drinks. £3.20 for a bottle of Staropramen and about £9 for a large glass of white - yeah £9 feckin' quid. There was one guy serving and he took ages, when it got to my go I ordered two of everything to save going through the painful ordeal a second time.

The restaurant was packed. As usual with a lot of these places the prices are high but they only manage to let you have one roll, one roll I ask you - no good to man nor beast!
The starter was ok but the main course was Gnocci (sp?), think that's what it was called. It arrived on a huge square plate, there were three of these limp doughy things flopping about with a couple of small cubes of potato and a slice or two of courgette and drowning in some insipid liquid - most uninspiring.
I managed to manfully struggle on with a bottle of red to try and wash down the food with something with at least a bit of taste.

What is it with these places that they get it so wrong?
Won't go there again but like I said I'm not one to complain.

Melvil

That's bad, but check out this one.

I went to stay a night here, had a look at the room and then walked back out and found somewhere else:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2008/01/17/a-night-a-britain-s-worst-hotel-115875-20288185/

It's sooooo bad!

Top Bottom