How bad is my bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyR00

Dawes discovery 401 about 10 years old, been cycling for about 4 months once a week now, about 30 miles each time. It's still quite a hard slog though. The guys on the road bikes/racers coming whizzing past. So I am wondering if it's my fitness or the bike. How much better would a mid/high end touring bike or racer make here and if so why would a high end tourer/hybrid be better. Lighter is one possibility however what other technical factors?

Dawes discovery 401 about 10 years old, been cycling for about 4 months once a week now, about 30 miles each time. It's still quite a hard slog though. The guys on the road bikes/racers coming whizzing past. So I am wondering if it's my fitness or the bike. How much better would a mid/high end touring bike or racer make here and if so why would a high end tourer/hybrid be better. Lighter is one possibility however what other technical factors?
When you can get where you're going, and not feel totally knackered, on your current bike, and you find that the biggest ratio you have, isn't big enough going down hills etc. you will get a bigger benefit from upgrading to a lighter / 'better' bike. Until then, personally speaking, I wouldn't spend the cash on a better bike, that said I'm a believer in the N+1 rule, and I reckon you can never have enough bikes.:laugh:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hi. Welcome to the forum. :welcome:. If your only using your bike once a week, its probably your fitness. I wouldnt worry about what others have and are doing. Just enjoy yourself for now. Have fun, try to get out and about a few times each week. When your fitness levels improve, then you can make a choice of a better bike or not. Having a real flash bike wont do you much good if your not fit. Of course the choice is yours, but you may be bitterly disappointed if you buy a new bike expecting to be able to go faster, only to find your struggling just as much as you did on your cheaper bike.

its not about what others have, but how you feel. Good luck and have fun.

Doobiesis

Über Member
Are you on the road? If so its a mixture. I had a hybrid which I used for 18 months and never got an average speed of over 14, ever!

Now I can go quicker on my road bike and have finally managed to maintain an average of 16mph. You're probably working a lot harder on the Dawes as it's probably very heavy - if you want to do cycling for a while I would def recommend getting a road bike. Get a second hand one and see how you get on.

:smile:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
How fit are you?
Trying to get out more than once a week will improve your cycling fitness a lot.
However, if you want advice that says 'you need a newer/lighter/faster bike' because you want to justify the lovely purchase to yourself, we can do that too :smile:

I ride faster on my friend's Argos roadbike (which weighs a ton) when I ride it, than she can on my lightweight carbon roadie. It's a fitness thing in our case.

Getting out and riding will improve fitness and don't be worrying about what everyone else is doing. You might be doing to a smidge slower but you ARE doing it. You are doing more exercise than any couch potato who is just bemoaning not being fit.

PS. Get a nice lightweight roadie. You know that you want to.:tongue:

Salar

A fish out of water
Hi,

Basically everything which has already been said.

I know you say its about 10 years old but is it the dark brown steel framed one, or does it have an aluminium frame.
A couple of pictures would be nice.

If its the steel frame I would hang onto it and not worry about what people think or if they are passing you.
Dawes were (and probably still are) quite a good mid range brand.

That style of bike with a steel frame is one of my favourites, being sensible you can ride light trails, tow paths, roads etc in a nice relatively upright position and take in the sites. A pair of cheap bar ends could help .
Racks and panniers should be easy to fit too.

I am slightly biased though being a lover of steel frames.

You'll need to spend a lot on a high end tourer. Just google to see what people tour on and do long day rides on, you might be surprised.
Not everyone spends hundreds, even if they can, on new bikes, although it can be addictive.

For what its worth one of my bikes is a 1988 steel framed MTB which I use for days out and I don't worry about the speed I'm toodling along at.

Just get out, ride and enjoy the bike for what it is.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I loved my Dawes Discovery and often wished I had kept it.
Agree with above points that it is more down to the rider. I have been out on three different bikes this week. An aluminium and steel hybrid, an aluminium and carbon road bike and this morning on my full carbon road bike and there was barely 0.2mph difference between them all so don't expect miracles.

Are your tyres inflated accordingly?
How wide are they (the wider they are, the more contact they have on the road, slowing you down)?
Are your cone nuts tightened correctly?

Otherwise do YOUR thing and enjoy YOURSELF. :okay:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi and :welcome: @andyR00

I'll second the comments above about checking tyre pressures and will add the question: Is the bike set up right for you? A common thing I see with beginners is setting the saddle too low, thinking that they are supposed to be able to easily put both feet on the floor when coming to a stop. It needs to be much higher than this otherwise it makes riding rather a slow slog.

In answer to the question; is it the bike or you? Probably a little of both: Once a week isn't really enough to build up a high level of fitness so I wouldn't worry too much about the guys who are faster than you just yet. A lighter more racy bike will make a difference but probably not as much as you'd think at this stage.

If you're considering factors on the bike here are a few to think about:
  • Tyre width: A narrow slick tyre running at high pressure as used on racing bikes will have lower rolling resistance than a wider treaded one running at (comparitively) lower pressure.
  • Rotating weight: Lighter wheels and tyres spin up to speed easier and quicker.
  • Overall weight: Lighter is quicker up hills improving the average speed.
  • The head-down riding position of a racing bike is more aerodynamic than the more upright comfort-oriented riding position of the Discovery series bikes.

Keep the rides coming and let us know how you're getting on.:okay:

Don't forget, you may well see some passing you, but the chances are some will still pass you even if you get youself a 'better' bike. What you don't see are those behind you going the same speed or slower.

Just enjoy it for it's own sake. Most of us will never race, never mind win one, but we still get awarded the numerous pleasures cycling brings.

Pedal and enjoy.

Top Bottom