How do you call this thingy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lockheed

I just pun**ed my tyre. Did not have a closer look yet, as it is too late for it today, but there is a chance it was because I was using presta valve tube on shrader rim.
Whatever the reason, I think it'd be better if sort this rim thing out.
How do you call this thing that you put on Presta valve so that you can put it on a rim previously used with Schrader valve?
I have no idea what to search ebay for.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
if that's what's done it, you'll have to buy a new tube, so why not buy the correct one for the rim?

if there's a reason...maybe this is what you're after?

http://www.unicycle.uk.com/shop/shopdisplayproduct.asp?catalogid=779

OP
OP
L

Lockheed

hubgearfreak said:
if that's what's done it, you'll have to buy a new tube,
I know, but it's hard to find a good slim high-pressure tube with Shrader valve. Besides, I like presta better.

Thanks for the name. Now I'm onto something!

Is there a difference between Presta and Schraeder rims? I had no idea ... that might explain why Ms RT's mountain bike keeps eating rear tubes.
idea.gif

gavintc

Guru
It is the hole size. If you put a road tube in a mountain bike rim, the thing will not fit correctly and you stand a chance of getting a puncture.

spence

Über Member
(Some) Mavic rims come with a valve adapter, small plastic plug thing to reduce the schrader (8.5mm) hole down to a presta one. Check to see if they're availiable seperatly.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I call it a rubber valve gromit. just pop into your LBS they will probably have a few lying about and will just give you a couple.

Schwalbe come with a retaining ring that is reversible, one side is able to screw down the thread and fit the Schraeder hole. Centralises the valve and stops the wear around the valve hole.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Cunobelin said:
Schwalbe come with a retaining ring that is reversible, one side is able to screw down the thread and fit the Schraeder hole. Centralises the valve and stops the wear around the valve hole.

ooh! Ringed Schwalbes on all my bikes and I never knew that! Thanks! :biggrin:

Top Bottom