How Do You Deal With Traffic Coming From Behind?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
A few years ago, whilst on holiday in France, I ended up catching a Sunday club run, and tagged along with them for a bit, the two ride leaders sprinted up to roundabouts stopped and blocked the road, and the whole group went round without stopping, then they rode back on, it was a Sunday and very quiet on the road though (rural Brittany), but I could never see this happening in the UK

A few years ago, whilst on holiday in France, I ended up catching a Sunday club run, and tagged along with them for a bit, the two ride leaders sprinted up to roundabouts stopped and blocked the road, and the whole group went round without stopping, then they rode back on, it was a Sunday and very quiet on the road though (rural Brittany), but I could never see this happening in the UK
Oh wow, happy memories ... <FX: fade to flashback ...>
This happened to me in a group on Paris-Brest-Paris (Britanny/Normandy for the uninitiated!). Not a particularly quiet time of day (Sat mid-afternoon maybe?). Everyone was happy!

I did it on the A40 in Oxfordshire later that year. Drivers looked utterly incredulous, but they did stop, everyone was safe-and-sound. I think I've lost the nerve to try it again, but maybe one day, when we get back to big groups ...

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Critical Mass rides routinely do it, even in the UK.

In Spain it appears that if the lead bike can get onto the roundabout (legally and safely) the following peleton continue through like a long vehicle, so the traffic on the roundabout gives way to the peleton. Seems very odd and I aws rather glad I was sat on the wheel of the leaders and not hanging off the back - I did that very shortly after...

Top Bottom