How do you stop a Brooks from creaking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonker

Guru
I have a squeaky Brooks saddle. I think it is where the rails meet the clamp at the top of the seatpost. How do I stop it?

tyred

Legendary Member
I don't know but I will be very interested in the answer as I have this problem as well and it drives me mad sometimes.

Greenbank

Über Member
bonker said:
I have a squeaky Brooks saddle. I think it is where the rails meet the clamp at the top of the seatpost. How do I stop it?

Put some more miles on it.

What kind of clamp is it? Got a link to the seatpost?

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I asked this question a while back.

The answer I got was that the creaky bits are probably in fact the tension bolt and nut, and I needed to oil them.

This is easier said than done - you can put oil on the bolt threads, but it doesn't creep inside the nut, where it needs to be to stop the creak.

The solution in my case was to loosen the nut (carefully counting how many turns I made), oil the bolt, and then tighten the nut the same number of turns, thus pulling the now oily bit of bolt back inside the nut.

Problem solved.

I can now worry about all the other bits of the bike that are creaking. (Or is it me that creaks?)

kit-small-wheels

Uncle Phil said:
I asked this question a while back.
I can now worry about all the other bits of the bike that are creaking. (Or is it me that creaks?)

All of the above.........

I just finished a long 'creak and groan removal programme' on my Safari, which has been remarkably successfull. Now all I can hear is the swish of the tyres and my asthmatic lungs complaining!

Using a Ventolin inhaler on the move is NOT recommended....... :ohmy:

Top Bottom