How do you take an inner tube out of a 700C tyre?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kookas

Über Member
I just installed a GatorSkin tyre on my back wheel (second tyre comes tomorrow) and while I was getting the original one off, it struck me that the valve seemed too long (about an inch) to remove the tube without taking the whole tyre off. Is there a trick to doing that or am I just right?

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Easiest to take the tyre off first? I know Gators can be a bit of a hassle to get on and off but if you faff about with trying to remove a tube with the tyre on you might risk either nicking the inner tube or damaging the valve. Just take the whole tyre off.

tyred

Legendary Member
It should be possible in most cases to remove the tube with only one side of the tyre taken of the rim. It's perfectly possible to fix a puncture like this without taking the wheel of the bike, it's how I would usually do it, especially on a rod braked roadster.

The tip is to buy tubes with short valve stems unless you are actually using deep section rims. Stems for Woods valves and some Shraders can be cut down to size. Long valve stems in standard rims look silly imo.

Take the bead off completely on one side, pull out the inner tube furthest away from the valve, when you get to the valve just roll the tyre back enough to pull out the valve. Even if the intention is to replace the tyre get the tube out first after removing one side of the tyre otherwise you are doubling the chances of damaging the inner tube. Replacing everything is exactly the same only in reverse.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Just bend the tyre out of the way!

Pop the tyre off one side of the rim, remove all of the rest of the tube until you get to the valve, bend the tyre out of the way and pull it out.

hoski

Veteran
What everyone else has said. ;)

The vast majority of the time, I'm removing the tube due to punctures and I want to check the tyre for flints/glass/etc. so I remove the tyre. I do tend to do it the way totallyfixed describes though.

OP
OP
Kookas

Kookas

Über Member
Oh right - I hadn't even considered fixing a tube while the valve was still in the rim, but no reason why not so long as I have my patch kit with me. In the world of cheap Halfords MTBs you practically just ripped the tube out, so it seemed illogical that the valve would be longer than the tyre's distance from the rim. Makes sense now, though.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Oh right - I hadn't even considered fixing a tube while the valve was still in the rim, but no reason why not so long as I have my patch kit with me. In the world of cheap Halfords MTBs you practically just ripped the tube out, so it seemed illogical that the valve would be longer than the tyre's distance from the rim. Makes sense now, though.

Choice of valve stem length is dependant on rim depth, nothing to do with the tyre depth.

lulubel

Über Member
Pop the tyre off one side of the rim, remove all of the rest of the tube until you get to the valve, bend the tyre out of the way and pull it out.

I did this for the first time a few weeks ago. I don't know why I didn't do it this way before. It makes changing a tube a lot quicker.

The vast majority of the time, I'm removing the tube due to punctures and I want to check the tyre for flints/glass/etc. so I remove the tyre.

If I wasn't sure what caused the puncture, I'd take the tyre right off as well. Last time, there was a very obvious piece of glass right in the middle of the tyre's rolling surface where the air was escaping, so I just picked it out and replaced the tube.

Top Bottom