How far?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
How far would you have to ride from home before you cycled on a road you have not cycled on before, not including house estates, I reckon for me it would be about 12 miles.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
About half a mile. It is a very very narrow road though and farmers go up and down it all the time

As kid there wasn't a road, track or path I hadn't ridden on in about 5 miles of our home. These days about half a mile, I ride well away from the area around my home to find places to ride. Everything within 2 miles of me is 'burbs' and shops, nothing worth riding around.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Before lockdown about 5 miles due to not having the deathwish required to cycle on local main roads. It's now at least 15 miles apart from a couple of short dead-ends leading off main roads.

1590521441499.png

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Quarter of a mile maybe - a half mile section of grade separated 70mph dual carriageway "A" road that bikes are allowed on but I can't see any reason why you'd want to take the risk.
There are perfectly good local roads running parallel on either side that get you to exactly the same places without any drama and hardly any traffic.

This assumes we're ruling out residential side roads (housing estates suggests we are) otherwise it's a couple of hundred yards at most.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
I've only been here 3 years and to be honest, it's a maze of hill roads and country lanes so probably only a couple of miles for me. I also reckon if you asked me the same question in another 3 years, you would get the same answer. Lockdown has been good for exploration but there always seems to be another road I never knew existed every time I go out.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Rural 'roads to somewhere' - quite a long way.

Rural 'roads to nowhere' - I have been up 2 in the last few days, both about 4 kms (2.5 miles) from here! Both testing little climbs with great views from higher up so worth going up for the exercise and the scenery. I never bothered checking them out before now because they are dead ends.

Chris S

Legendary Member
About 2 miles probably
About the same for me. I rarely cross the city centre to North Birmingham, even in a car. The accent is even slightly different so it's probably the same for most people. You've only got to go a mile or two up Soho Road and they start sounding like Pig from Pipkins.

Dave7

Legendary Member
If you literally mean cycle as against walk or drive there are loads within a few hundred yards. We back onto a country park (sounds more grand than it is) but beyond that is an estate. My normal 10 miler takes me alongside the estate for 1/2 mile before getting more rural so I would never want to cycle through it**
**if I find I am slightly short of my 10 miles I will divert to add the necessary bit.
If you are talking actual pleasant cycling type roads I cant think of many within 5 miles.

Top Bottom