How fast do you actually pedal in your highest gear?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
When I am going downhill, I can only seem to get 40 mph out of pedalling normally. I can go faster If I launch myself into the gear with a big accelleration and long hill, but can only really pedal 40 mph.

I was wondering what speeds other people can do when pedalling normally in the highest gear?

Bigsharn

Veteran
I've hit 37 before now, on a 48/13 ratio downhill, fastest on the flat was 32 (Though, that was drafting a bus)

I'm going for 40 by the end of the year :tongue:

Nebulous

Guru
I don't pedal much above 30. Get up to 30, tuck down as best as you can and let gravity do the rest.

48.7 is my highest speed to date - hoping to hit 50 soon.

Broadside

Guru
35mph+ and it's all about reducing drag. Get your chin on the bars, tuck your elbows in to your body, shift your bum to the back of the saddle and peddle and you will get quicker.

I have 50/11 as my highest gear and I tend to spin out at about 44mph, I am determined to get to 45mph+ on a local hill but it has eluded me for the last two years, the quickest I have managed is 44.9mph!

Garz

Squat Member
Downhill factors vary dependant chiefly on hill length and gradient.

Your better off picking a fast surface flat road and building up your rhythm then going all out sprint in your top gear and seeing what you can achieve. I roared upto 38mph in 50/12 but that day had a tailwind.

With my Bianchi 39/53, 12-25 the fastest I've been is 47.6mph, in theory thats 138rpm, where as again in theory my 38/52, 11-25 Kinesis can go to 51mph for 139rpm but the fastest it has been is 44.9mph, I think the length and other characteristics of hills etc have more to do with it. My usual top speed is in the 38-42mph zone (42.7mph yesterday and 40.9mph tonight).

Stuartaw11

Regular
The fastest my scabby old mountain bike goes is 25 on the flat and 37 down a steep steep hill, this WILL change as soon as I get my hybrid cannondale quick 2 or quick 3, just got to convince the other half I neeeeeeeed a faster bike! Ha

beastie

Guru
49.6 mph in the 50/11 coming down to Mungrisdale from Berrier. Flat out sprint from the top
until spun out at about 45 mph and then into tuck. Ran out of road before I could get to 50 gggrrrr!!!!

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
49.6 mph in the 50/11 coming down to Mungrisdale from Berrier. Flat out sprint from the top
until spun out at about 45 mph and then into tuck. Ran out of road before I could get to 50 gggrrrr!!!!

As soon as I have my stitches out, I am going for 50. It will definately hurt as the hill I have prepared isnt very steep but it is very long.

Top Bottom