How Fast?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonk man

A video from our clubs freewheel race at Christmas.. the title is Down the Camp on a Moulton at 40 mph.... the truth is I hit about 40 [ according to the guy following me.. ] for a short section then bottled it as the bike didn't feel safe at that speed. Watch it in his res if you can, not very good quality due to the camera being attached to the bars, but fairly amusing..

View: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ5ZWiPwL4o&feature=channel_page

:biggrin:

mr-marty-martin

powering home i managed to kick out 33, the part i allways sprint, its one of those signs that flashes your speed when you go over 30 lol

the bend before the sprint straight its slightly ( realy slight ) down hill, then flattens of round the corner and to the sign, but i cant hold that for very long at all,,,

Randochap

Senior hunter
A moment at a given speed doesn't much tell you anything. As a beginner, you can't expect to jump on the bike and set any records, personal or otherwise. You must start building your own "history." A cycle log would be of benefit.

For myself, I can maintain around 40-45 kph (24-28 mph) on the front of the Wednesday group paceline, for instance. I'll generally stay up there for 2-4 minutes. Wednesday is usually a 100km loop, with 700 metres (2300 ft) of climbing. In season, my average will be just under 30kph (18.6 mph).

I've done this route nearly every week for four years now, so the data means something. It is the "calibration," if you will, of my training week.

If you don't have something like this to judge your power/fitness, it's very difficult to make any kind of judgement about your overall levels.

On shorter, (say, 30k) training rides, I'll maintain an average of 30kph) On long brevets (up to 600kms) on-bike average will be around 25kph (15.5mph), if I'm peaking.

Fastest ever downhill = 85kph (52.816551 mph) The steep right hand bend half way down was, er, vivifying!

dudi

Just got back from work, and my average has gone up to 17.4mph... this is over 224 miles since the start of the year... wonder if I can keep it there....

User3143 said:
I used to live in Dunstable, what hill was this?

I'll try and explain! Coming past the Dunstable Downs Golf Club into Dunstable itself. Turn left into Tring Road at the first RAB, past the petrol station and then right at the next RAB onto Toternhoe Road. Just as you are passing the last houses the hill there is fairly steep, it's not very long but you've got a great view ahead so you can really put the hammer down. I always get over 40 on there.

User3143 said:
Yep, I know where you are. That's a fairly steep hill as well coming down from the golf club to the first roundabout.

I'm always a bit wary on this one as there are a few places for cars to jump out at you. I like going back up towards the golf club. It's a good reminder of what goes down fast, goes back up very slow!!

Landslide

Rare Migrant
bonk man said:
A video from our clubs freewheel race at Christmas.. the title is Down the Camp on a Moulton at 40 mph.... the truth is I hit about 40 [ according to the guy following me.. ] for a short section then bottled it as the bike didn't feel safe at that speed. Watch it in his res if you can, not very good quality due to the camera being attached to the bars, but fairly amusing..

View: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ5ZWiPwL4o&feature=channel_page

:biggrin:

Taking this concept to its (il)logical conclusion?
http://www.fyxomatosis.com/news.php?readmore=1137

Bellew

Everyone is right. Its just down to fitness. Its a great bike. I ride it for my trainer bike. In a sprint on a flat road i am around 27-30 mph. Once have gone higher but there may have been a tail wind but thats irrelivent!! :rolleyes:

Tynan

Veteran
takes time and always trying a leeetle bit harder, I settled on 20mph cruising into work, lately I tried pushing a bit harder to try and shift some gut and started seeing some improvement almost at once, 26mph on the flat to drop someone drafting leading to 20mph up the steep side of the Bow fyover, knackered at the top though

OP
OP
Wigsie

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Update, my average speed seems to remain relatively consistant but on the same path around the sports field I peaked at 28.7mph.

I may have to take some anti 'fear of mortality' medicine to get over 40mph down a hill though!

montage

God Almighty
Downhill, anything over 40mph and it is far too scary to look at the speedo :biggrin:

Fastest on flat is 34.7mph, which I'm not too displeased with as I have been cycling since late december 2008. Anything over 26ish gets the lactic acid flowing for me, and I have managed to hold 30mph for 4 mins with no wind and only a few lumps in the road... didn't manage to shake the guy off my wheel though.

However, if I try hitting 34.7mph again, my average speed over the journey plummets as I tend to crawl for the next 5/10 mins :laugh:

Much better to focus on average/aerobic speed in my opinion, but seeing large numbers is allways good fun!

Top Bottom