How green is commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's the poor driving ability of others if they don't look ahead and plan. As for green.... well what ever. :wacko:

Just think, cycling to work will stop you becoming that large jelly wobble that has a heart that can't cope. You might be not super skiny, but you'll be fit. You will also save the NHS a fortune (unless you get run over).

I recently had my shoulder operated on. During the op the 'monitor' readings were, for over 90 minutes, my HR was ticking over at 34 bmp, blood pressure was way down, body temp dropped (caused them a worry :whistle: )...
BING..awake, had tea an hour later, and would have walked out then, but took four hours to be discharged - not bad eh..... Told no bike for 6 weeks, was back on after two, then did 34 miles today at speed, after 3 weeks.... :thumbsup:

So commute by bike, your overall LIFE footprint is lower... and you'll have a blast.

Stuff the rubbish car drivers. You'll save the NHS a fortune in life care.

GrasB

Veteran
I recently had my shoulder operated on. During the op the 'monitor' readings were, for over 90 minutes, my HR was ticking over at 34 bmp, blood pressure was way down, body temp dropped (caused them a worry :whistle: )...
It's funny when the doctor starts to get worried about their broken machine & scrabble for a watch because you can't possibly have a resting heart rate of 40-42bpm as you say "hum a little high today then" :laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's funny when the doctor starts to get worried about their broken machine & scrabble for a watch because you can't possibly have a resting heart rate of 40-42bpm as you say "hum a little high today then" :laugh:

Exactly,that's why it's taken over TWO years for an operation after an RTA = cyclist fit, not couch potatoe.... my record comments are laughable.... :wacko:

"Must not hurt much as he is a heavy duty cyclist"....

I was on the track the next day, so asked if the injection would affect riding to work, ride over to the drome, a two hour session, and then back home at a stupid hour.... (PS this was an all important CC Track Session....)

How the NHS recover the cost of my surgery from the stupid driver.... I will ask, as my employer has had 5 weeks sick costs from me, as well. :whistle:

GrasB

Veteran
Exactly,that's why it's taken over TWO years for an operation after an RTA = cyclist fit, not couch potatoe.... my record comments are laughable.... :wacko:

"Must not hurt much as he is a heavy duty cyclist"....
tell me about it, I hit the deck at +30mph a while back & got the "it can't hurt that much" I mentioned the way I cycle pain is just a part of cycling. The doctor said that cycling isn't painful, he knows because he cycles. I invited him to do a hot lap of the village at MY pace, at which point my Garmin was put on the desk with a 15 mile commute displayed.
:eek: <-- would be a good impression of his face.

asterix

Comrade Member
Have they chosen to live far from their daily place of work ?

I always ensured I'd never work further from home than I could comfortably cycle. There was no urge to move miles away out in the sticks much less so to have to car commute.

pshore

I always ensured I'd never work further from home than I could comfortably cycle. There was no urge to move miles away out in the sticks much less so to have to car commute.

I've just looked up some (old) stats about commuting distance.

Stats from 2001 show that about 80% of us live within 20km from work, with about 40% within 5km.

I think 5km is the distance people will commute by bike every day. Beyond that though, there are a lot of people who could potentially commute once per week. Most people are lazy, but the fuel price will be pushing people in the right direction.

snailracer

Über Member
Cycling is the most amazingly green form of transport on land I know of - up to 3 times more energy efficient than walking, even.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Theres a fit young cyclist where I work who drives his car to work despite living less than half a mile away ????

atbman

Veteran
Many yearsago (too many :sad: ), a member of my then athletic club had a very low RHR (could go down to 28 if really resting).

Was involved in a bad road accident as a pedestrian and rushed into theatre for operation. Afterwards, theatre nurse said, "We were worried at one point when your heart rate became really low". He said, I've got a naturally low HR".

She said, "12?".

Brommie77

I've just looked up some (old) stats about commuting distance.

Stats from 2001 show that about 80% of us live within 20km from work, with about 40% within 5km.

I think 5km is the distance people will commute by bike every day. Beyond that though, there are a lot of people who could potentially commute once per week. Most people are lazy, but the fuel price will be pushing people in the right direction.

There are not many journey that cannot be done by bike or a combination of bike/train etc - whether people want to do so is another matter...

GrasB

Veteran
There are not many journey that cannot be done by bike or a combination of bike/train etc - whether people want to do so is another matter...
A lot of the time I drive the trip could easily be done by bike & public transport however the purpose of the trip would't be fulfilled.

Top Bottom