How long do your tyres last?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

levad

Veteran
I have a pair of Conti Ultra Gator Skins. They have been on the bike since July and had 1,266 miles of wear, a few >50 mile rides and commuting 26 miles each day.

I had some grit come through one yesterday and liberate the air. I have now been checking the tyres after each ride and found a lot of small cuts, many with grit in that I have removed.

My question is, do the tyres need replacing soon? How long do your tyres last?

Depends on the terrain/miles but my rear wears out first so I swop the front over and get a new one for the front.

OP
OP
levad

levad

Veteran
Terrain is B roads and minor country lanes, all tarmac no off road (unless I have to avoid a tractor on the single track bits!)

snorri

Legendary Member
I don't worry about small cuts, but do occasionally dig out any bits of grit or glass. I run my tyres until the canvas starts to show through where the tread used to be. I would be hoping to get 3-4,000 from a back tyre and a few thousand more from the front.

D

Deleted member 1258

Normally put a new tyre on the front in the autumn and put the used front on the back, used tyre on the back lasts about twelve months. Just put one of these http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/9625.html
on the front of my fixed. I've been on gator skins for many years and am trying out these to see how they go.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Quite a bit of mileage, but I don't really know how much.

I replace a tyre if it has a cut big enough to cause a bulge, if I get a spate of punctures that might be due to the condition of the tyre (difficult call, might just be bad luck) or if I can see the cloth.

I replace front and back together usually*, although I keep the fronts- use them as turbo tyres or for replacing rear tyres if they get badly cut.

*this isn't some hard-won advice, it's just my habit. Rotating the used front to the rear is fine too.

dav1d

dave r said:
Normally put a new tyre on the front in the autumn and put the used front on the back, used tyre on the back lasts about twelve months. Just put one of these http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/9625.html
on the front of my fixed. I've been on gator skins for many years and am trying out these to see how they go.

Are they easy to get on? Just bought some MarathonPlus and having problems getting them on! So whilst I'll stick with these once they're on, I may not buy them again as I can't be doing this every time I'm putting a tyre on!!! lol

Can you let me know how you get on with those tyres as I might consider buying some at some point. Thanks.

D

Deleted member 1258

dav1d said:
Are they easy to get on? Just bought some MarathonPlus and having problems getting them on! So whilst I'll stick with these once they're on, I may not buy them again as I can't be doing this every time I'm putting a tyre on!!! lol

Can you let me know how you get on with those tyres as I might consider buying some at some point. Thanks.

They went on easy enough, I haven't had much time to assess them yet, put them on Tuesday, did 45 mile yesterday and to and from work today, 12 miles. Initial impressions are good, they have less rolling Resistance than the gator skin and seem to be comfortable and grippy. I am using 700x28.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I have done over 1,500 miles on my Conti GatorSkins and they show no signs of wearing out yet, nor have I have any intrusions through either tyre....

Matthames

Über Member
accountantpete said:
Depends on the terrain/miles but my rear wears out first so I swop that over to the front and get a new one on the rear.

That is a false economy, btw. If that tyre decides that it has had enough, on the front it will cause you to crash! You can recover from a rear wheel blow out, but it is impossible to recover from a front one.

I have fitted a Shwalbe Marathon XR to the rear of my bike. Although pricey for a tyre I am hoping it lasts the 15000 miles that it says it could do, which would make it good value for money.

potsy

Rambler
dave r said:
I too am interested in how these perform,tried the gators but not too impressed tbh,have M+ which have been great for p-resistance but certainly are not the best for speed,done over 1500 miles with them now.

Matthames said:
That is a false economy, btw. If that tyre decides that it has had enough, on the front it will cause you to crash! You can recover from a rear wheel blow out, but it is impossible to recover from a front one.

I have fitted a Shwalbe Marathon XR to the rear of my bike. Although pricey for a tyre I am hoping it lasts the 15000 miles that it says it could do, which would make it good value for money.

Sorry - I got my words back to front!

Old front to rear and new tyre on front.

Ademort

To the original question,how long do tyres last.it depends on a number of things. How heavy is the rider, what tyre pressures do you use. What road surfaces do you ride on.and of course what tyres are you fitting. all of these factors need to be taken into consideration. I recently replaced my Krylion Carbons after almost 7000Kms and no punctures in the 12 months that they were fitted to my workbike. A good tip is to swap tyres round every 500Kms i.e. front to back and back to front. At least then you can replace both tyres at the same time. Otherwise your rear tyre will always wear out first and you will have a new rear tyre and a half worn front tyre situation. I,ve had some road tyres that are worn out after 2,5 to 3000Kms on my good racing bike and i never use the bike when its raining, again this is down to the make and model of tyre that i use. If you want to have hardwearing tyres with a good mileage then look for that on the tyre as described by the manufacturer.

Top Bottom