How long should tyres last?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
funnily enough i was listening to a podcase and this was spoke about in detail

an so called expert said 1500mile as a guide but it depends on the type of riding, they type of tyre and how its ridden
So-called expert indeed, he might as well have not put a figure on it. And most tyres of any description will last much longer than that. I had over 4k on my first set of Schwalbe Durano Plus on the Viner before the rear needed replacing (and that was due to being run underinflated); the front is still going strong. Well over 1500 on the Squadra's set so far.

Schwalbe's estimates on longevity are from 2,000 to 5000 km for their standard tyres (1200-3100 miles approx), 6,000 to 12,000 km (3600-7200 mi.) for most Marathon series tyres, 5,000 to 9,000 km for the (lighter & faster) Marathon Racer & Supreme, up to 15,000 km for the Marathon Plus (!!). For the Ultremo ZX- a race tyre, mind you- 3,000 to 7000 km.
The OP is unlikely to need new tyres just yet if she looks after them properly (i.e. keeping them at the right pressure & removing debris).

david k

Hi
So-called expert indeed, he might as well have not put a figure on it. And most tyres of any description will last much longer than that. I had over 4k on my first set of Schwalbe Durano Plus on the Viner before the rear needed replacing (and that was due to being run underinflated); the front is still going strong. Well over 1500 on the Squadra's set so far.

Schwalbe's estimates on longevity are from 2,000 to 5000 km for their standard tyres (1200-3100 miles approx), 6,000 to 12,000 km (3600-7200 mi.) for most Marathon series tyres, 5,000 to 9,000 km for the (lighter & faster) Marathon Racer & Supreme, up to 15,000 km for the Marathon Plus (!!). For the Ultremo ZX- a race tyre, mind you- 3,000 to 7000 km.
The OP is unlikely to need new tyres just yet if she looks after them properly (i.e. keeping them at the right pressure & removing debris).
yeh i thought 1500 seemed low for most decent tyres riden on smooth ish roads
to be fair he did say it is very varied and was discussing touring specifically so may have thought of rough tracks and heavy loads, giving him the benefit of the doubt there ha ha
my hybrid has some teflar tyres and after 700 miles look like new, ive riden it on tracks and canel paths etc
my road bike tyes have done around 350 and seems fine although i dont have the same confidence in them

compo

Veteran
The one big revelation to me on joining this forum was learning to keep my tyres at good pressure. All my life I have just pumped them up, pressed them with my thumb and said "good enough". Since being here and having the error of my ways pointed out, and paying attention to pressures, even though I use budget tyres I now rarely get pun***res. On my Trek I have Bontrager tyres and after about 1500 miles they hardly seem worn at all. I haven't given thought with what to replace them with when the time comes.

Top Bottom