How Long To Claim On Insurance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

harveymt

I got hit by a car in the middle of last December. Police and ambulance were called to check me over. I was ok just a bit of a sore elbow which has now cleared up. I hadn't down anything with insurance as I was waiting to see if my elbow cleared.

It now has and the only thing that is left damaged is my glasses. The glass is ok but the frame were scraped. They're Oakley frames so they are expensive enough to replace.

Have I left it too late to initiate a claim for the glasses?

Cheers.

vickster

Legendary Member
Are you a member of British Cycling/CTC/LCC? If so, contact their legal advice line and see what they suggest. If not, you could contact the driver and see what they say. If they haven't made a claim for damage, they may want to settle directly to avoid excess and claim penalties

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I got hit by a car in the middle of last December. Police and ambulance were called to check me over. I was ok just a bit of a sore elbow which has now cleared up. I hadn't down anything with insurance as I was waiting to see if my elbow cleared.

It now has and the only thing that is left damaged is my glasses. The glass is ok but the frame were scraped. They're Oakley frames so they are expensive enough to replace.

Have I left it too late to initiate a claim for the glasses?

Cheers.

No, make your claim against the driver (you have six years). If he doesn't want to stump up, contact his insurer.

GC

OP
OP
H

harveymt

The frames are Oakleys. Frame plus lenses were near £300. A scraped frame may not irritate some but it does annoy me. The nose bits were also damaged but I managed to get them roughly back into position.

A buy one get one free frame from Specsavers, fair enough it's a few quid but these were pricey enough. I've a very big head and Oakley are the only frames I've found that fit well. I wear them all day, every day and scrapes all along the front of them is not great.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The frames are Oakleys. Frame plus lenses were near £300. A scraped frame may not irritate some but it does annoy me. The nose bits were also damaged but I managed to get them roughly back into position.

A buy one get one free frame from Specsavers, fair enough it's a few quid but these were pricey enough. I've a very big head and Oakley are the only frames I've found that fit well. I wear them all day, every day and scrapes all along the front of them is not great.

You don't need to justify your decision to pursue this to anyone, you're entitled to be put back in the position you were before the incident that damaged your property.

GC

vickster

Legendary Member
Are you going to be able to prove that the accident was the cause of the damage, was it reported at the time...otherwise, 7+ months on unfortunately you could struggle, given you wear them all day every day as you say? Why did you not pursue it at the time given they were not, unlike an injury going to heal?

U

User33236

Why did you not pursue it at the time given they were not, unlike an injury going to heal?

+1

Not bike related but certainly insurance retailed. I was injured in a car crash a few years back and notified the relevant insurance company within a couple of weeks when I knew that I would not heal quickly. All details, including any damaged items were noted at that time and the damaged items claim was then processed. The injury claim was then put on hold until such time I healed or an accurate long term prognosis.

Top Bottom