How many cycle 'offs' this year?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Dozens! I go MTBing in the dark on mud and slippery grass and roots so 2-3 falls per ride is normal.

longers

Legendary Member
*touches wood*

llllllll

Usually manage to get away with 2 or 3 all year, but I've already had one. I was coming down hill towards a junction so was braking, road was wet, front wheel ran across a painted arrow just as I was leaning into the corner, front wheel slide away. Got away with nothing more than a bruised ego.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
None so far, and only two last year. One was when a car hit me broadside at a roundabout, the other was on the cycle lane in Stanmore where it goes through a bus stop. There is a small raised kerb about an inch high but it was enough for the front wheel to catch it and off I came. Fortunately no damage to me or my trusty Galaxy, dented pride maybe:blush:

Norv

Just the one. On my way into Bristol, just west of the Clifton Suspension Bridge. Was doing 25 mph around a nice steady left hander (the speed I go round there every week, all of the time) when instead of cruising around the corner pleasantly, the front tyre skids on some black ice and I end up sliding gracefully, sideways, across the road.
Evil feckin' road burn that took over a week to heal to the point of not being absolute agony. Plus bruises and new shifters that cost £80, bar tape - £8, labour - £20.

D'OH!;):evil:!

Actually, now I think about it I fell off my dad's mountain bike in Bahrain about four years ago. But a) the brakes were the other way round, so I operated the front V brake when I meant to operate the rear, thereby sending myself over the bars and faceplanting the tarmac, and B) I was absolutely plastered.;)
Two years later my brother and I got drunk together and spent all night riding the same bike into a swimming pool.:evil::biggrin:
2zydhll.jpg
2v2fk1c.jpg

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Why do I have this sneaking suspicion that if I, hypothetically, say I have had no 'offs' this year, I will end up in a pot hole and covered with road rash sometime tomorrow?

T x

bonj2

Did people eventually observe that you rode the bike into the swimming pool precisely once every 60 seconds and tell the time by you? :smile:

byegad

Legendary Member
Mamaged to select gear 0, you know the one between the big sprocket and the spokes, on my recumbent on a short steep (5 miles an hour) hill. Graceful drop to the right as pedals spin furiously. Luckily no other traffic so picked myself and bike up and quickly readjusted the stop so it won't do it again!

The first person to mention preventative maintenance is my least favourite person of 2008 already!

Top Bottom