How many loose bearings do you put in a bottom bracket?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
An article by Sheldon Brown recommended 11 on each side. When I did this they wedged themselves into a solid ring during the initial adjustment.

Other articles recommend 10 on each side. If I did this they wouldn't be evenly spaced out and getting rid of all the freeplay would be problematic.

I would appreciate answers from personal experience.

midlife

Guru
1/4" balls 11 a side usually. Depends on the bottom bracket though. What is it?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Or put a caged set in. Then you won't have any choice.

Answer from experience: I put the same number in as I took out. Often they have been in cages. Sorry, you didn't specify useful experience. ;)

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
like this?

midlife

Guru
It's a 1990 Raleigh Chiltern with 1/4" ball bearings.

I guess it's the original bottom bracket, is it a cottered chainset?

OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
I guess it's the original bottom bracket, is it a cottered chainset?
No - it's one of the later models. I've bought a new spindle and I'm replacing the bearings at the same time.
The bike originally had 8 caged bearings on each side. I've tried 11 or 10 bearings over the past few years. Both seem to have their drawbacks.

midlife

Guru
That's odd, caged bearings for 1/4" balls usually have 9.weldtite for example. Wonder what make of bottom bracket it is?

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
Whatever Raleigh could find at the time, it doesn't use their proprietary threading.

Anyway, since nobody seems to know how many loose bearings to use I'll stick with 11 on each side and be careful not to over-tighten it during the initial adjustment.

Gunk

Guru
I personally prefer loose bearings, I have huge pots of them in all sizes, all my Vintage restorations have loose bearings in, once greased and tightened properly they’ll run like silk.

My personal practice is to just leave one out, it’s not an exact science

Top Bottom