How many teeth?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pottsy

That makes good sense and I'll keep it at the front of my mind. Would you say it still holds when it comes to longer/steeper climbs and descents outside of London or would being able to freewheel down be an advantage?
Steep descents are the worst bit about riding fixed if you ask me, but it can be fun seeing how high you can get your leg RPM - some can do over 200!!
I could never be bothered flipping the hub whilst out riding. Not least of all the rear brakes often then need realigning too. In most cases, once you've tried fixed you won't be bothered about using the SS side again.

1772401 said:
With a conventional 700c roadwheel with 23mm tyres? Yes that would come out at 73.6" which is a workable gear if it is not too hilly and you are reasonably strong.
Yep, 700c wheels. I've been running a freewheel with 42x17 which has been grand. I'm wondering whether I wouldn't be better off sticking with that ratio? I'm a bit new to all this :wacko:

jim55

Guru
42*17 is quite low ,rem but if u change the gearing by a fair bit ,you might end up with the chain too short or u need to take a few links out ,it all depends on yr likely terrain /hills /and your ability to power your legs .
you will notice a diff using a 16 on the rear and its a worthwhile change ,its only one tooth but it does make a diff on the rear ,app one tooth up/down on the rear is similar to 3-4 on the front ring

Thanks for the advice. I have a new chain to put on - the fixed cog I bought was the wrong gauge for my existing chain - so that should be grand. I find all this tech stuff a bit bewildering to be honest.

Top Bottom