How much does a spoke key cost?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

Couple of quid, should be under a fiver, make sure it's the right size / type for your spokes.

Ditto the advice about getting a Park tools spoke key - don't be fooled by something cheap (and rubbish). I always use to misplace mine so now use it as a key ring...

S

OP
OP
Sam Kennedy

Sam Kennedy

I got one which does 4 different sizes for £5.
It was scary turning the spoke nipples(lol) at first because they sounded like they were going to snap. But I got used to it.

Truing isn't really that hard, it's just repetitive. (Or more likely, I was doing it wrong!)

Davidc

Guru
Needed a new one in a hurry just before christmas and got one very similar to accountantpete's link at £5.50 from one of the LBSs

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I got one in my tool kit. If you going to do a lot of work on your bike then a good quality tool kit is really good value, to buy all the bits and pieces separately would cost you twice as much.

zacklaws

Guru
As the others say their not expensive and as Sam says its not difficult to true a wheel. The only hard bit I have found when I have had to do a quick repair job on the road after a crash etc is to actually keep the wheel circular instead of making it slightly oval as you will notice it when it turns that it goes up and down.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Make sure you get one that grips all four faces of the nipple. The Spokey is good, or the Park SW-40
Don't get one that does multiple sizes - they are a complete PITA, and the cheaper ones will round off the corners of any recalcitrant nipples.

Top Bottom