How much preparation do you do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Y

yello

I think it really depends on how far outside your comfort zone you are

Yes, I think that really is the deciding factor. I'd quite happily take off on a tour of France tomorrow, without any form of research/prep. Just what we'd call in NZ a 'ticki tour. The same would be true for Western Europe, I'm comfortable enough with the environment to go pot luck. But for Eastern Europe, there's a few things I might read up on. More so for South America etc etc etc.

Danny, I'm fortunate enough to not need to set targets. I could go on an open ended basis. I'd just ride as I felt, no daily mileage target.

90% of planning is worrying about how to solve problems that might never occur.

do not agree

There are problems - what happens if i get injured/the bike breaks/i get robbed - sorted with basic insurance and a few tools/spares

and then there are logistics - how far is it - how do I get there - how do I get back - where am I going to stay - what am I going to eat - what do I want to see - and on occasion will they allow me in out of a country

even in my very skimpy preperation the latter catorgory is by far the largest part of my effort - with experience you become better and more comfortable with the ins and outs of touring and know where to concentrate your efforts = maybe equals not worrying about things that might not occour - but generally = Im confident that I can deal with it

Bodhbh

Guru
My tours have been limited to a 2 week european jobs, so jealous of those who get the chance to go for longer and further afield. But for those, all i do is buy a Rough Guide, a Michelin map of the area (or at least the start), book flights and maybe the first or last nights accomadation (one or the other tends to be in a big city and therefore a hostel job). I'll know the rough daily milage need to get from A to B and a nominal route, but rarely will this get stuck too (stuff happens, locals suggest alternates and/or posion you with schnapps, etc).

So prep = a few hours fannying around on the internet and reading the rough guide. Then just googling and reading up on stuff as it occurs. God I'm making it sound boring, maybe I should just ferry to Dunkirk, cycle off in some random direction and turn up at an airport 2 weeks later sometime.

Top Bottom