How often do you check your bike for irregularities?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
I don't until symptoms start appearing - noise, creaks and flexing.

I once rode with a frame on which the seat stay had rusted through completely near the gear hanger, for several months before I spotted it.

Now it may be my brain is in Sunday mode, but how did you know it had been rusted through for several months? It could just have easily been a week, which is why it is worth giving a quick check over the bike on a regular basis. Now I know some will say the never do and have not had a problem, yet, but for the few seconds it takes it should be worth it.

A stitch in time and all that stuff.

bpsmith

Veteran
I am in the clean and check after each ride mindset too. Not cleaned my bike after the last ride and it's been wrecking me all week!

Out this morning though, so will be stinking again in this weather. Still doesn't feel right, not knowing of any issues.

Sharky

Guru
Now it may be my brain is in Sunday mode, but how did you know it had been rusted through for several months? It could just have easily been a week, which is why it is worth giving a quick check over the bike on a regular basis. Now I know some will say the never do and have not had a problem, yet, but for the few seconds it takes it should be worth it.

A stitch in time and all that stuff.
You're right it could have been a slightly more recent break. It was on one of my many comeback phases. The bike was a steel 531 and had been in the garage hanging on the wall for some time. My fitness was low and it seemed like hard work on every ride. It was only on a club run one Sunday and we had to stop while somebody repaired a puncture. I was checking my pressures and noticed that the wheel was moving side to side. Thought it was loose bearings, but on closer look found the broken tube. At rest the frame looked entact, but under stress it was flexing.
From the sluggish feel of the bike, I realised I had been having problems for a little while and my slow speeds was not entirely due to my lack of fitness.

Cheers

Ben Reeve

I think you get to know your bike in a kind of 'if it don't feel right, check it out' kind of way.

Strange noises, unusual handling, slower than usual (can't always put this down to the bike!) then time to have a look

Top Bottom