How often do you grease your balls? 😳

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
If water gets in and pits the races, it's pretty much game over. That's the only reason I'd junk a hub.
If the pitting isnt too bad it can be filled with epoxy and rubbed smooth again.

My rear Alfine hib gets a oil dip a d new grease anually.
My front Shimano dynamo hub has never been opened. Had anyone here ever serviced a Shimano one?

Bearings used are generally Grade 25 which are accurate to 25/1,000,000 of an inch. Less expensive ball bearings maybe grade 300, which are less round, at 300/1,000,000 of an inch. ... Hardness scale is measured in Rockwell, a steel ball-bearing is likely to be over a Rockwell C of 60. Ceramic ball bearings can be a Rockwell C of 75, much harder than the steel races, although I've not seen any Ceramic in bicycles yet, I do use them in industrial applications though & they are considerably more expensive! I always go to Swan Industrial Drives for mine, they don't generally supply any cheap stuff!
Apparently Campagnolo put ceramic bearings in all of their mid-high end wheels. They claim that ceramics have less drag, need less lube, oil not grease , last longer and dont need to be sealed. Sounds like magic.

My front Shimano dynamo hub has never been opened. Had anyone here ever serviced a Shimano one?
I gather it can be somewhat tricky, you can't really get at the connector side without seriously risking breaking key connections.
Which shimano dynohub do you have?
How long have you had it/how much use/miles?

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

Yes I greased the bearings after I’d first fitted it into a hub. Thinking of another grease before the winter. I used assuring to inject the grease in. Hence this post.

weareHKR

Apparently Campagnolo put ceramic bearings in all of their mid-high end wheels. They claim that ceramics have less drag, need less lube, oil not grease , last longer and dont need to be sealed. Sounds like magic.
Yes, I have used them on food packaging equipment in cleanroom conditions, they allow the equipment to be hosed down with cleaning chemicals & hot water with no issues of washing lubrication out.
They are about three or four times the price though! :wacko:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The biggest advantage of ceramic bearings on a bike would be freedom from rust pitting, should water get in. However, they would need to be FULL ceramic units (races and balls) and Campag may be using the cheaper, more common, hybrid ceramic bearings, which still have steel races.

Normal cartridge bearings are also sort-of good for rust pitting, because when it happens you toss the bearings and get all-new races and balls for a few quid. No junking a £100 Ultegra freehub because a bit of water got in and rotted a cup.

carpenter

Ãœber Member
Don't ceramic bearings wear the race surfaces faster (my thinking, better to have slightly softer bearings so that they wear sacrificially rather than the hub surfaces?)

weareHKR

Don't ceramic bearings wear the race surfaces faster (my thinking, better to have slightly softer bearings so that they wear sacrificially rather than the hub surfaces?)
Yes, they do, I use them in processing machinery & ceramic balls in Stainless Steel cage don't last 12 months before they are rattling!
PEEK balls are even harder! :wacko:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I did an experiment last week. Two used but very good PD-5700-C pedals. As they were used, the races were smooth and broken-in.

Stripped, cleaned and rebuilt one with grade 10 balls (from Aire Velo Bearings) and the other with grade 100 balls (from Simply Bearings). All bearings from the same packet in each case, so assumed to be from the same batch. I adjusted them as usual, just beyond the point where play disappeared, then gave them a good twirl by hand to distribute the balls and push excess grease out of the way.

Result: absolutely no difference in smoothness or drag.

The maximum error in a grade 100 3/32" ball is only 0.2 micrometres. In a 1/4" ball it's almost three times bigger, which may be why grade 10 balls are more readily available in bigger sizes. But as long as you don't use Grade 1000, I reckon you'll be unlikely to notice in Shimano kit.

Caveat: I have no way to verify whether the grade 10 balls really are grade 10, but they are sold as such. I trust Simply Bearings as a major industrial supplier but 3/32" balls are unusual in grade 10 and Aire Velo was the only supplier I could find in the UK. The Chinese "G10" balls on eBay are probably grade 1000.

Top Bottom