How steep is steep?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

Hello all,

Here is a shot of one of the hills on the Powell & Hyde cable car route.

P080109_1426.jpg

The cable speed is regulated to 9.5 mph, so the only time the cablecar can exceed this is if it is coasting down a hill with the gripper loose.

I thought it would be a hoot to see if I could cycle the route faster. The Cable cars stop on every road intersection where the surface is horizontal. This gave me some time to catch up.

My hire bike was a Marin Verona with a 34/50 compact C/W a 12 – 25 10 speed. Lowest was 34". Uphill was a struggle and I didn't get off and walk once; and I beat the cable car BOTH ways!!

Each way was 25 minutes for approximately 1.5 miles 'up and down'.
My son and I hired bikes for four hours. He rode around the Embarcadero and Market Street route – Flat, while I rode across the mountainous route, over Russian Hill. He rode ¼ mile further and beat both me and the cablecar.

Moral of the story - 'Avoid hills'. :smile:

PS. The Mapsource Topo California I downloaded off the internet ( for free ) didn't work. It showed my position OK, but it wouldn't compute a route which followed the road.
That's what becomes of being a cheapskate.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
What if you live near them? Nice photo :smile:.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Mate of mine and I once RAN up that hill & beat the cable car.
(slight exageration) - but we got the top before our friends who waited in queue for the cable car!

OP
OP
J

jimboalee

Lombard, between Polk and Larkin is 25%.

I got off and lay on the pavement in 2004. :welcome::laugh:

Further out of town, Millbrae Avenue from Rotary Park up to Skyline Boulevard is 25% for about a mile.
That is the climb, Hillcrest Blvd is the descent. Repeat until knackered.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
My mate Eddy Matzger once raced a cable car on the show Ripley's Believe it or Not, and won. He was on inline speedskates, and is a pro racer.

OP
OP
J

jimboalee

I've seen Inline Skate commuters in New York and Boston, but not in San Fran'.
LED lamps on belt and hat. Crazy Mothers. :welcome:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Steep hills on a bike, the two steepest have probably been Cudham Hill on my recumbent, and Stock Hill on fixed. I was really chuffed when I made it all the way without havign to walk.

Also done Tour of the Surrey Hills on my recumbent - that was painful!

Top Bottom