How Tight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
I you haven't broke it yet, it can always be tightened that little bit more :whistle:

Fiona N

Veteran
+ 1

Thats all you need to worry about

This is no joke :sad: I changed the saddle on my audax bike for a long event, didn't do the bolts up tight enough and gradually over the first couple of hundred km, the saddle slipped down at the back and up at the front. I started to get sore in places I don't usually get sore, had to shift around a lot on the saddle to minimise discomfort, got back aches as a result before I realised what the problem was. The thing was the saddle had gone from dead flat to less than 1cm higher at the front that the back - so not exactly obvious but the consequences were painful :B)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I you haven't broke it yet, it can always be tightened that little bit more :whistle:
And if it has, it is too late!

That's kinda my attitude. Works most of the time :whistle:
I actually overtightened a saddle once and the bolt pulled the thread out of the clamp when I hit a bump. I had to put the saddle in my back pocket and ride home standing up. Fortunately, I was on a hill above Hebden Bridge at the time so I freewheeled down the hill and was home in 5 minutes. I wouldn't have fancied riding 30+ miles home standing up!

An easy-to-remember roughish rule of thumb is that holding an apple (average size, not a Bramley or a crab apple) in the palm of the hand is about 1 newton, so 12 Nm is 12 Cox's pippins on the end of a 1 metre stick.
It's easy to remember, but hard to apply! Translating 12 apples on the end of a metre stick, to one hand pulling on an allen key, hmm ...

Top Bottom