How to be safe on Londons roads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazy

Hello All

I have changed my job and acomodation now I have to travel from ilford to Liverpool street, before I was riding from barking to canary wharf which has cyclists routes and it was quite safe but I am worried that ilford to Liverpool street is more busy and I don't know which areas have dedicated cyclists routes.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Try using cyclestreets.net - it'll give you some options and you can switch the map to the Open Cycle Map which will show you the designated (if not dedicated) cycle routes.

outlash

also available in orange
Ilford to Liverpool street is essentially all the way down the Romford Road to Straftford and then the A11 into the city. Personally, I'd get the train straight there.

Tony.

Moda

Personally, I'd get the train straight there.

I assume that the OP hasn't won the lottery to be able to afford the train ticket.

Seriously, you can get a decent bike for the price you'd pay for a TravelCard for the summer months.

A large percentage of the cost of my recently purchased bike was funded by giving TFL and its TravelCard the bird.

outlash

also available in orange
Yeah thats what I do but I want to bike to work now

I guess you could follow the back streets that run alongside the Romford Road, then across Woodgrange Road following Forest Lane from Forest Gate to maryland point, then you're almost at the Olympic Park. How you'd get into the city from there, without hitting the A11, I'm not sure. TBH, it's not an easy journey no matter which way you'd do it. Best of luck.

Tony.

schocca

Yep, the only way is Romford Rd, then to Bow flyover and finally the full length of the CS2 to Liverpool St. I cycle Stratford St to Liverpool St most days. In the evening, I cycle back to Harold Wood.

A few pointers:
- Always cycle over the Bow flyover, it's a lot safer than the roundabout. On the way in, get into the middle lane just as you pass Sugar House Lane, then cycle over. On the way back, take primary in the LH lane as you go past Fairfield Road.

- The CS2 blue surface is very very slippy in the wet.
- The CS2 is very busy, ride with care and don't RLJ (you will get eventually caught, police regularly monitor the junctions).
- Romford rd going to Ilford - take extreme care with cars coming out on you, as soon as you go past Stratford, it's always silly brains season. I've already been over the bonnet of a car this year by a driver that decided looking was optional (Romford Rd/Carlton rd).
- Stratford heading back to Ilford, you can access Broadway to Romford road via the pedestrian crossing just before the turn into Stratford St.
- Bow Flyover to Stratford St is having massive amounts of cycle lane work happening to it over the next year or so. So expect road works and silly stuff.

I'm cycling a silver folding Road bike (converted Dahon Espresso MTB to Road wheels + drops). Say hi if you pass me...

Ciar

Veteran
Where abouts in Ilford mate, as that's my home town, but i live in south woodford and commute into the wharf, so might be able to help you out, one thing i can say, google street view was a godsend for me, i used that to check my route for cycle lanes and alternative routes, after making the commute 3 different ways.

looks like @schocca might well have sorted you out already though :smile:

OP
OP
lazy

lazy

I live on ilford lane close to shell pump, I tried yesterday but it was so busy and so many idiot driver's I gave up and went to forest gate took the train to Liverpool st. I will try some other time..not a very cycle friendly area I must say:sad:

Kies

I have some areas coming in from the west of London where drivers are particularly bad. I prefer to go around that area than through it, adds 4 miles to my commute, but a darn site safer. Stick with it

Top Bottom