How to bleed Hayes brakes - Is this right?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RSV_Ecosse

Hi folks, need to bleed my Hayes Stroker Ryde front brake. I've got a couple of syringes and some clear plastic tubing here that I usually use to reverse bleed my superbike clutch and brakes but the procedure for doing the Hayes is confusing me a little. Could someone post the steps to take when using syringes rather than the Hayes bleed kit?. I haven't got the plastic adaptor that you screw into the master cylinder but a friend suggested the end of a plastic propelling pencil would work ok?.

So let me try and get this straight, am I right in thinking you follow the steps below? :-

Position bike/turn bars so the master cylinder you are working on is uppermost.

1. Fill 1x syringe with DOT4 fluid, hold upright (pointy end down) to evacuate air bubbles. Affix clear tubing from this syringe onto caliper bleed bolt/nipple.

2. Remove bleed screw from master cylinder. Fit adaptor or something similar to hole. Attach plastic tubing to this and attach tubing to a second syringe.

3. Crack caliper bleed bolt/nipple a 1/4 turn. Slowly push fluid through with syringe from that end. Watch for fluid coming out of master cylinder and into other syringe.

4. When nothing but fluid and no more air bubbles are coming out of the master cylinder screw, stop pusing fluid through and then tighten caliper bleed bolt/nipple. Replace master cylinder screw and tighten.

Somewhere between stage 3. and 4. I see folk saying to operate the brake lever back and forth, is that right?. And I've also seen some folk say the tubing at the master cylinder end should not be submerged in brake fluid, that right too?.

Top Bottom