How to free off an hyperglide locking ring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rafiki

Retired Brit living in Spain
After my hybrid 700c rear wheel rim split I have a replacement coming (thanks Wiggle: free shipping to Spain!) I decided to get the hyperglide cassette off in anticipation. I have the lock ring tool, a good chain whip and a hefty adjustable spanner but the cassette is stuck fast. I have squirted a little oil in the orifices and will leave overnight but I'd be grateful for any tips to help the job along. I don't have access to a workshop.

montage

God Almighty
Do you have a table clamp?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Either put the chainwhip and adjustable at 180[sup]0 [/sup]to each other and lean hard, or get them at more like 10[sup]0[/sup] and squeeze hard.
Be careful - lockrings can let go a bit suddenly. I've never had to extend the bar for a lockring, but as for freewheels...

battered

Guru
Cassettes are designed to lock up, that's why the back of the lockring has the teeth. If you acn't loosen it by conventional means then you need to use a bit of shock loading. You might need an assistant, the game is to take up all the slack and then give it a sharp tap with a soft hammer or mallet to get it moving. If all else fails most cassette lockring tools have a half inch sq drive and a car mechanic's impact driver will work a treat.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Good quality chain whip makes a big difference. I have a Park one now, just that bit longer and better handle than the cheapie I had before. That, and the lockring tool that is a 1/2 sq drive so I can put an extension bar on easily, never failed me yet.

OP
OP
rafiki

rafiki

Retired Brit living in Spain
Thanks all. I tried again myself this morning without success but this evening managed with the help of a chap who came in to paint the house. Big chap, I held the chain whip and he leant on the lock ring tool with two hands on an adjustable. At first I thought it wasn't going to budge but on the third shove he cracked it.

Top Bottom