How to get oil out of cycling shirt?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albion

Guru
I have the same and assumed that like my poly cotton trousers it would just wash out almost immediately.I had no luck with swarfega. It does fade a little after each wash though.Just maybe the stain on my trousers is lighter than the actual material.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Squirt the stain with WD40, then immediately rub washing up liquid into the area. Stick the whole lot in the washing machine as normal.

Works well at removing dried oil, but can discolour the surrounding material slightly.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Squirt the stain with WD40, then immediately rub washing up liquid into the area. Stick the whole lot in the washing machine as normal.

Works well at removing dried oil, but can discolour the surrounding material slightly.

I can confirm that both swarfega (or other garage hand cleaner of your choice) and WD40 work. With WD40 it's important to apply the the washing up liquid before putting it in the washing machine but if you forget (like I did) just repeat the process. Once I discovered how well garage hand cleaner worked I used it on oil stains over a year old on clothes that had been washed repeatedly - worked a treat.

Top Bottom