how to make a tour work.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bit OT. I have considered this, or at least mixing up a weekend at a festival with some cycling (i.e. the Green Man in the Brecon Beacons with some off-roading). However, what do you do about bike security?

I'm not particularly paranoid about it, but music festivals....Unless they've changed a fair bit in the last 10yrs, I wouldn't even want to take a decent tent.

If you stick to small festivals in remoter places like Hebfest (Stornoway), Orkney, Shetland, security isn't such an issue and you can enjoy great cycling as well.

Bodhbh

Guru
If you stick to small festivals in remoter places like Hebfest (Stornoway), Orkney, Shetland, security isn't such an issue and you can enjoy great cycling as well.

That is a pretty good idea for a trip.

OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
i didn't realize how many music festivals that go on in the Uk over the summer months,
sure would be good to take in a nice folk festival ,in a nice corner of Britain.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Finding something that you did not expect and which totally knocks your socks off.

IE: Going to see the opera at the outdoor arena in Verona.

Sat on the cheapo stone steps with all the Italians. Took a picnic and a bottle of wine. I am not an opera buff by any stretch of the imagination but what a superb experience. Watched Puccini`s Tourendot and even hummed along to Nessun Dorma...well we all know that one.

Great, Great experiencve.

Steve

david1701

Finding something that you did not expect and which totally knocks your socks off.

IE: Going to see the opera at the outdoor arena in Verona.

Sat on the cheapo stone steps with all the Italians. Took a picnic and a bottle of wine. I am not an opera buff by any stretch of the imagination but what a superb experience. Watched Puccini`s Tourendot and even hummed along to Nessun Dorma...well we all know that one.

Great, Great experiencve.

Steve

goddam that gives me a good reason to get fitter and get on a tour :biggrin:

Khalid365

Bit OT. I have considered this, or at least mixing up a weekend at a festival with some cycling (i.e. the Green Man in the Brecon Beacons with some off-roading). However, what do you do about bike security?

I'm not particularly paranoid about it, but music festivals....Unless they've changed a fair bit in the last 10yrs, I wouldn't even want to take a decent tent.

I've been to Bestival (on the Isle of Wight) and Dour (in Belgium) on a bike and security was never really an issue. All medium to big festivals will have a police/security headquarters. They let my friends and I lock our bikes up in places where the drunken, drugged-up festival goers were not allowed to approach.
It allowed us to get drunk and drugged-up with brilliant peace of mind!

P.S. Definitely don't take a good tent. At Dour someone broke into our tent and took a dump......

Bodhbh

Guru
I've been to Bestival (on the Isle of Wight) and Dour (in Belgium) on a bike and security was never really an issue. All medium to big festivals will have a police/security headquarters. They let my friends and I lock our bikes up in places where the drunken, drugged-up festival goers were not allowed to approach.
It allowed us to get drunk and drugged-up with brilliant peace of mind!

P.S. Definitely don't take a good tent. At Dour someone broke into our tent and took a dump......

I'm tempted to reel a couple of festival anedotes backing up my concerns, but I'll resist going off on one. :smile: It's a good tip about the security headquarters though.

On topic: decent weather, bit variation, seeing new places, and the random, spontaneous nature of it. I think the best times from tours to date are from events I never foresaw or places I never planned on going to.

My ingredients for a cracking tour are:
  • some really wild weather - I like a really good storm
  • remote wild campsites where you have the place to yourselves
  • good weather at the end of the day so you can sit out with your cup of tea admiring the sun set
  • at least one huge climb that gets me really high, in both senses of the word
  • some serendipitous (spelling)? interactions with the locals, e.g. getting invited to a wedding
  • one or two incidents that put the whole endeavour in doubt, but work out OK, e.g. gear failure, getting arrested.
  • no ruddy headwinds
  • no traffic

OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
My ingredients for a cracking tour are:
  • some really wild weather - I like a really good storm
  • remote wild campsites where you have the place to yourselves
  • good weather at the end of the day so you can sit out with your cup of tea admiring the sun set
  • at least one huge climb that gets me really high, in both senses of the word
  • some serendipitous (spelling)? interactions with the locals, e.g. getting invited to a wedding
  • one or two incidents that put the whole endeavour in doubt, but work out OK, e.g. gear failure, getting arrested.
  • no ruddy headwinds
  • no traffic

great reply you sound like a right bloody headcase i mean that in a good way.

Top Bottom