How to prepare for my first 60 mile ride at weekend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Poundland, haribo jelly babies...coffee and cake half way round

boydj

Legendary Member
Main thing on the day is not to get carried away and start too fast. Take it steady, build into the run and if you are still feeling strong in the second half, then you can push on. If you can find a group to work with that's not going too hard, then use them to conserve your energy. You might have to let one or two groups go by before you find one you can hang in with - be patient.

vickster

Legendary Member
Is this a sportive or just fancy doing the metric ton (Ish). If the latter, I'd push it to 65 miles so you've done the 100k and a bit :thumbsup:

wintergreen

I did an unplanned 60 miles today. I wasnt intending to ride so far but once I was out on the bike and the fog cleared I was enjoying the sun so kept on riding.
I hadnt done any preparation, just ate my normal breakfast and had a flask of coffee and a bottle of water on the bike. I later found a couple of gels and an energy bar in my handlebar bag which were appreciated. :thumbsup:
Just take your time and enjoy the ride and the miles will soon pass and before you realise you will have done the distance.

Trull

Über Member
Have fun on your ride, I'm thinking of going round my local 60miler too this weekend, prep was 20miles on Monday, 13miles on Wed, (will do)30miles on Friday then go for it… I'll take some water and a wee snack. I always have a gel for emergencies and the usual selection of tools and a tenner in case. There's a major risk you are overthinking things, relax, enjoy the views, pace yourself and you'll get round.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
This advice is from an overweight, 61 year old, fairly regular cyclist (600 miles so far this year). I might decide to do a 60 miler on waking up to discover it's a nice day so, porridge and coffee for breakfast (I have it everyday regardless), put 2 x 750ml bottles of weak Tesco Lemon squash on the bike and half a packet of Tesco fig rolls in my jersey and off I go. Most my routes have a coffee shop/cafe around half way and I stop for a skinny latte and some cake.

So no carb loading. no gels, no energy drinks just fig rolls and get on with it :thumbsup:

I think you might be my long lost twin brother!

BAtoo

Über Member
Here's my 2p...
I'm not too experienced at this cycling lark but getting in to it. On my longer rides I've had a normal meal the night before which is usually carbohydrate rich, porridge for breakfast - maybe a slightly larger bowl - & 2 mugs of coffee. On the ride I drink a water bottle every 25 miles or so to which I have just started to add some sugar which seems to help - too mean to buy fancy powders . A snack, or light lunch, somewhere around 25 miles is helpful.
The drinking is most important. Also not setting off in excess of your normal speed helps.

doog

I did an unplanned 60 miles today. I wasnt intending to ride so far but once I was out on the bike and the fog cleared I was enjoying the sun so kept on riding.
I hadnt done any preparation, just ate my normal breakfast and had a flask of coffee and a bottle of water on the bike. I later found a couple of gels and an energy bar in my handlebar bag which were appreciated. :thumbsup:
Just take your time and enjoy the ride and the miles will soon pass and before you realise you will have done the distance.

yep did the same on Wednesday. Had a bowl of branflakes and an apple for lunch, decided to go on the bike. Took one bottle of water and two tesco value cereal bars and did 65 miles...

To the OP , a two minute rest on the side of the road, sip of water and you will be amazed at your recovery if struggling. Repeat a few times and bobs your uncle.

Top Bottom