how to replace bearing dust covers on front/back axles?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ib1234567890

My bike is a low cost, very basic hybrid by Garneau that I bought new about 4 years ago. The bearing dust covers on both front/back axles that came with the bike started showing wear/bend signs during the first year. One is now badly bent out of shape (see the attached image 'dustcovers.jpg'). The one dust cover that has been bent our of shape now slides past the ball bearing groove on the axle (see the attached image 'backaxle.jpg'). I want to replace the 4 dust covers. I have limited experience with bike repairs so please bare with me if my questions are trivial. My questions are as follow:

1) Can I replace just the dust covers themselves without having to replace the axles? Or should I buy new front/back axles that include dust covers?

2) If I can replace just the dust covers themselves, can I expect local bike stores that specialize in bike repairs to stock the covers? Or should I be looking to buy the covers online?

I would appreciate any comments and/or suggestions.

Thank you,

Ian

Attachments

• backaxle.jpg
    backaxle.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 64
  • dustcovers.jpg
    dustcovers.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 64

Shreds

A bike shop may have something in thrir junk box or you could try someone like “Simply Bearings” of Lancashire

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/

who may have something that would fit?

I recently did a replacement of damaged dust covers and shattered bearings on a spin bike with cheap far eastern bearing in. A very quick and cheap fix complete with new Austrian top notch bearings.

Beats me why we put up with having the rubbish in the first place?

OP
OP
I

ib1234567890

Some good news! I contacted a few local bike shops and found one that actually stocked the bearing dust covers, identical to that which I was looking for. Just to be clear, it was not necessary to buy new axles. I bought 4 dusts covers, $2 each, for a total of $8 Canadian.

Top Bottom