How to stop a rattling d-lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PrettyboyTim

Hi folks,
I recently bought a Kryptonite Evolution Series 4 d-lock for my bike, but I've found that when attached to my bike it makes a helluva lot of noise because it rattles.

Basically it seems like the lock section is rattling against the curved bar section, which is the bit that attaches to the bracket.

I'm going to try a few things to see if I can stop the rattling myself, but I was wondering if anyone else had any tricks they've used to stop lock rattling. It's frustrating; my old lock didn't rattle at all.

I know some people will suggest I just put the lock in my backpack or pannier, but I prefer it carry it on the bike itself. :smile:

Davidc

Guru
Had a problem like this. The bar was held tightly but the D bit wasn't.

The D bit was near a part of the bike and was already rubber coated. I pushed the D bit against the frame then put some self amlgamating tape on that bit of the frame (CPC among others sell the stuff, you stretch it and wrap it round a couple of times and it forms a rubber cover)

I now put the D lock in its clamp and also hold it tight against the frame with a velcro strap.

There's still a tiny noise from inside the locking mechanism but I can put up with that.

battered

Guru
Wrap either the lock or the frame in an old inner tube, secure it with electrical ties as required, job done. Rattle now you b*****!

g00se

Veteran
I had exactly the same problem with the same type of lock. The shackle (U bar) is secured to the frame, but the the lock itself rattles against it. I bought a bag full of rubber o-rings - the internal diameter just a fraction smaller than the diameter of the shackle. Open the lock, put a couple of the o-rings over both ends of the shackle and push them down to the rubber blocks.

This will stop the lock rattling around on the shackle - though you will need to put a bit of pressure on the lock to turn the key. They will perish over a year, so keep a bag of a few more at the back of the shed.

rusky

CC Addict
It is annoying isn't it!

My KKryptonide D lock has large rubber o rings that are supposed to stop the rattle but I find I need to slide them towards the lock bar.

I found that using a velcro cable tie to hold the D to the frame is the best long term answer.

OP
OP
PrettyboyTim

PrettyboyTim

Zippy said:
Take your bike into (literally) work with you - that way you don't need to lock it up.

If I didn't need to lock it, I wouldn't have bought the lock! :biggrin:

rusky: That's interesting - I noticed it had those rubber bits but they didn't seem to do anything - I didn't realise they that they could move up the bar. I'll give it a try.

g00se: Thanks! - I'll try the O ring thing if moving the rubber doesn't do the job.

g00se

Veteran
Yes - they'll move up - but they're in the position they are in at the mo because of a ridge on one side of the shackle, and the mounting block on the other . If you move them up, they'll just eventually slide down again.

I've just double checked what I did, and I had removed the existing large grommets; put 2 o-rings over each end down to the ridge and the mounting block - and placed the grommets back on again.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Probably somewhat off topic, but in a concerted (but alas hitherto failed) effort to find a decent bracket for my Kryptonite a while back, I came across this interesting bracket idea which also turns the lock into a tri bar!

Alas, nobody has implemented it AFAIK.

Top Bottom