How to stop chain falling off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
Hmm .... well, the whole bike was flexing slightly, but the crank arms weren't moving in relation to the frame.

I also decided to test the tension in the chain by the scientific method of pressing down on top of it, and then going round the garage doing the same to all the other bikes. My conclusion is that they're all pretty much the same, and I now have black fingers on one hand :rolleyes:

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
I've been out on the bike for 1.5 hours this morning, and whatever I did when I adjusted the cable tension yesterday seems to have done the trick. The chain didn't come off, and the only time it rattled against the cage was when I tried to make it by accelerating as fast as possible uphill in the offending gear. Since my normal riding style is rather more laid back, I don't think that will happen often!

So, I think it's problem solved. It's just a shame I still don't know exactly what I did to solve it.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I've been out on the bike for 1.5 hours this morning, and whatever I did when I adjusted the cable tension yesterday seems to have done the trick. The chain didn't come off, and the only time it rattled against the cage was when I tried to make it by accelerating as fast as possible uphill in the offending gear. Since my normal riding style is rather more laid back, I don't think that will happen often!

So, I think it's problem solved. It's just a shame I still don't know exactly what I did to solve it.

You solved it but tweaking the cable tension :biggrin:

Top Bottom