Howdy! another Newbie! from Bristol

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mikesbike

Always enjoyed cycling as a child but have never taken it that far from there but confident ish.Though I'm excited I didn't splash how too far on the bike in case I don't like it as much I think i will!

Bought a Dawes discovery 201 2010 get to pick it up weds...oh dear I feel giddy! Anywho is there a part on this forum where you guys suggest good lights acessories etc?

Will be cycling to work 6 miles ish any suggestions people from bristol at which angle to hit blackboy hill but ending up on coldharbour rd top of whiteladies obviously not going to tackle it head on up white ladies.

Thanks Mike

Speck

Oldest Teenager In Town
Welcome to the forum Mike.

It will be nice going back down, although it does get pretty busy.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Hi I can't quite work out which direction you are trying to go from/to. If you are trying to get to Coldharbour Road coming up Whiteladies Road, then why not cut across before you get to Blackboy Hill? Several of my routes involve Redland Green - but there is still hill to get to it and then short sharp little hill to get out at the other side. In fact that will be next weeks commute.

Me? I end up at lots of the little shops around that area so have various wiggly routes but then I would normally be shopping rather than commuting when I'm over there. On the few occasions I'm commuting back from that area to pick up the youngest I've often used Grove Road - but that involves hopping off the bike onto the crossing.

Which ever route you take will involve hills I'm afraid - but it is a case of try them and see - some are less of a problem than others. I prefer going up steep hills on quiet roads to on the busy roads because of the speed I go up hill.

Good Luck

OP
OP
M

Mikesbike

thank you for the welcomes seems very friendly here. Thanks for the advice summersdays think you may have just confused me more there sorry I wasn't saying where I was coming from. coming up from the centre or well the wells road but I have been told there is a different way that goes up to clifton which u then find yourself on zetland road then to cold harbour which I think I'll try just was wondering of other routes :laugh: I know as I'm a begginer won't be able to do the whole hill but want to do as much as I can though.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Have you seen the council's cycling maps? They are on-line on both the Council Web site and also the Better By Bike website. You can pick them up from various different bike shops and council buildings.

I use a route via Waverley Road in Redland which comes out near the top of Zetland... but I wouldn't head down Zetland at that point as I would loose height ... instead that's where I head over to Redland Green and cycle through the park which can bring you out onto Coldharbour Road just above the junction with Cranbrook Road.

I'm not brilliant with routes as I know so many of them that I can never evaluate which is the best one to take... and I'm often criss-crossing the city to different places rather than one fixed route. And maybe cycling with a friend so will divert my route to cycle a bit further with them.

Sometimes breaking down hills into bits works... so that you get a bit of a breather before going onto the next section. I made it up Park Street the other day - it was always one of my mental blocks ... I met my daughter's old music teacher on the centre and he was walking up instead. Somehow it helped me up ... only thing is he appeared not long after as I was locking up my bike so it wasn't much faster than walking.

OP
OP
M

Mikesbike

hmm yes I look on the council cycle bit though as much as the council are trying to make us the first cycle city here is nowhere to add cycle lanes and I hate being in the same lane as a bus so I think Google earth will be just as good.

Wow park street you are Hardcore thats is very mad indeed! well done :laugh: if you get upto the downs directly up park street and white ladies now that would be even more impressive haha.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've gone from the centre up over the Downs but I'm more likely to start on the Gloucester Road, via Redland Road and end up crossing the Downs near Parry's Lane.

When you start the hills seem like mountains ... many aren't so bad now but I'm still not a lover of them and slowly crawl up them. You will be amazed how you improve ... when you get off and push (and I've done that plenty of times), note where you get off and the next time see if you can get 5 m further on. That never worked on Park Street for me as I always saw the nice shops that would defeat any tiny bit of determination to get to the top.

OP
OP
M

Mikesbike

ah yes hmm well will see how I do I diffentaly have a easier ride home still hills to go up but not so big though a bit annoying to live on a hill too nevermind ;) hmmm yes wil ltry the push and carry on method though... I'll prob look at the newsagent and any food shops than clothe shops !

Hills in Bristol

You must face your foes head on!:rolleyes: (just make sure you've got low enough gears so your knees don't pop!).

Check out the 'B**tard Hills of North Bristol' - an upcoming ride organised by the Bristol Cycling Campaign group (see link below - click on it - if nothing else than to see the photos of some of the most challenging hills in the north side of our lovely city).

http://bristolbybike.blogspot.com/2009/11/bastard-hills-of-north-bristol.html
Don't attempt them if you suffer from hernias, hemorrhoids or slack-bladder syndrome:ohmy:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Now as I hate going up hill any more than I have to, do you really think I'd do that ride... I've seen some of the suggested hills and basically although I can get up some of them I wouldn't do any of them for FUN - I'm still of sound mind:evil:. I've got loads of alternative routes to avoid all of them:biggrin:.

Top Bottom