HR impacting stomach absorption rates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Travs

I've tried a quick search around for anything to do with this but not been successful. I was wondering whether there is any link between the HR zone/work rate and the stomach/intestine's efficiency/effectiveness to absorb food?
Just something I'm considering whilst on a ride - if I'm hammering it does it mean my stomach is sitting with food in it unable to absorb because more than likely blood is servicing legs and other vital organs?

Cheers,

Tommy2

Über Member
Blood is going to the muscles that need it most ie the legs so isn't going to the stomach therefore if you've had a large meal then go exercise hard your body will likely show you your dinner again.
so yeah I think it will sit there and digest very slowly possibly causing discomfort.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The commonly held theory is you can only absorb about 90 g of energy per hour through glucose/fructose pathways , 1 g = 4 kcal ( dont quote me )

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Yes. Working hard enough secondary functions will slow to aid more energy and oxygen to the working muscle.

What can also happen is very rapid emptying of bowels.

OP
OP
Travs

Travs

Thanks for the info and confirmation - does anyone know if there is an advised or documented research on the %ofMHR or Zone that you should bring your pulse down to?
Considering racers are cramming Gels in occasionally, I assume they are sitting around Threshold - so is that OK or does it depend on what you're eating ( e.g. -20bpm for solid food etc etc).
I never go out and cane it after a big meal but if I'm trying to get a decent time on a ride but need to back off to feed, just wonder what's a reasonable point tot go down to etc.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
If you mean eating a gel or quick snack on the fly, then I don't think you particularly need to worry about lowering HR by a specific %
I think your HR will just drop anyway when you stop your full on effort and start messing about trying to get a gel out of your back pocket, bite the top off, swallow, etc. Just slow as much as you need to and continue when done, I reckon. No point overcomplicating things.

Top Bottom