HR question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
question of degree?

Any chance of getting trade union or professional support. It's surprising what a difference that can make.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
If memory serves, then abusive, threatening or insulting words or behaviour of any type regardless of how trivial you deem it to be are classed as personal harassment and as such can be subject to disciplinary procedures. This sort of behaviour normally starts with minor events and escalates to a point where it is liable to cause distress and or stress related illnesses. Your employer has a duty of care to protect you from this and are legally bound to protect not only your physical well being, but also your mental well being.

If you have documented prior incidents ie kept a diary then that will add merit to the complaint. If you have talked to colleagues in the past regarding the perpertators actions, that will also add merit.

Check your terms and conditions of employment, to see what sort of behaviour is expected in your workplace.

This comes from personal experience when my wife was being bullied in the work place (a well respected utilities company) and they came down like a tonne of the proverbials on the bully. It started off with snide comments, to rubbishing her opinions in engineering meetings in front of senior colleagues and decalring that she didn't have a clue what she was on about. Suffice to say the perpertator in this case no longer works in any engineering capability in the business now.

Gromit

Über Member
I think first off you need to have a quite word with him. If that does not work then see his line manager, or yours, they have probably noticed his behaviour but need a little prod to spring into action.

Your employers should have a duty of care policy, if they don't do anything about his behaviour then they have failed in their duty of care to you and therefore have breached the terms and conditions of employment.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
[QUOTE 1536970"]
At work you're subjected to a consistent (following you around for several minutes) torrent of aggressive verbal abuse, at a level that you've never heard before in the worst pub you've known and that shocks and threatens those who are present. It includes furniture kicking and both you and colleagues expect some physical violence.

Two complaints are made and eventually an investigation is started.

Would you expect the investigation to include any merit being given to trivial and every day prior incidents -like you see in most offices- referred to as the perpetrator's response to questioning?
[/quote]

In my field of work I take such things in my stride. If me and my colleagues didn't we'd have no-one left to teach :thumbsup:

However, in most other occupations such behaviour is generally stamped upon particularly in a company large enough to have an HR department. If you are in a union I'd use their services to advise and represent you.

If you haven't already done so. Start a behaviour diary/log.

Schools have to provide a comprehensive log of behaviour and ensuing warnings when an exclusion of a pupil is being pursued.

I sat on an appeals panel dealing with the disciplining and dismissal of a colleague. The level of detail of the allegations levelled against the appellant were jaw dropping. I had a two inch wedge of documentation to wade through which recorded conversations, allegations and counter allegations. The case has moved onto a tribunal where the level of detail with contribute to the success or failure of the appeal.

Top Bottom