HRM and riding with one

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jasonmccullum

Über Member
I have been using a HRM for the last month on rides of various lengths from 15km-60km

on every ride i seem to be having an average HR of around 160 bhp, maxing out at 177 bpm on steep climbs

I'm 43 so this figure is in the 85%+ region and i can hold this for over 3 hours

am i riding to hard and should i be training at a lower intensity?

any advice would be welcomed

Thanks

Jay

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
am i riding to hard and should i be training at a lower intensity?

What would you like to achieve, do you have any goals defined?

OP
OP
jasonmccullum

jasonmccullum

Über Member
im looking to increase my ride distance and be able to climb better

and of course lose about a stone. currently im 6ft and 83kg

Last edited:

Ben M

Using an equation is a very rough way to find your max HR. If you are serious about doing heart rate training, then find your max HR the hard way.

Be warned, if you actually find your max HR, there will be vomit ;)

IanG1

I am a similar age to you and 5'11" and 80KG. I have played around with a HRM over the summer and my average over similar distances is around 150bpm and the highest I have hit on a climb is 182bpm. The best way to climb better is to pull less weight up the hill so like you I want to shed a few more kilos my goal is 76KG but I have some what hit a plateau this year after coming down from around 90KG.
Ride on how you feel, if you feel good then push on if not then back off for a bit and let things settle. if you are doing it for fun like me then don't worry just enjoy the ride.

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
im looking to increase my ride distance and be able to climb better

and of course lose about a stone. currently im 6ft and 83kg

It's less tiring to cycle at a lower heart rate (pretty obvious to say, I know) and you can therefore go further (providing bike comfort doesn't stop you first). Perhaps aim for 120 - 140 bpm and see how this feels after an hour when compared to 160...

What sort of ave. speeds do you achieve over the rides (at 160 bpm ave.)?

Albert

Über Member
My heart rate monitor is a constant companion and I find it very helpful in judging my efforts.
Someone (an expert) said train slow in order to ride fast. I have followed this maxim: I ride below 130bpm and average around 115bpm on all my solo rides - I never push (12/13mph average on hilly rides where there is around 1000ft of climbing per 10 miles). Then, when I do an Audax/Sportive/Group Ride, the competitive thing kicks in and I average 140ish and max out in the 160s. I can average as much as 20 mph with a following wind. I am a 65 year old heart attack survivor on medication, but have no problems of giving it a bit of wellie from time to time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom