Hub gear (nexus) problems?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wolf04

welshcyclist wrote:
the Subway 8, which has got a bad name, I feel, simply because of the inexpertise of Halfords staff, which, I hasten to add, is not their fault. It is caused by Halfords itself, as an organisation, which puts sales first, above all else. How can a bike mechanic concentrate on your bike repair, when he/she is told they must attend to the sales desk at the same time????

I'm not convinced inexpertise is a real word, but it sure does describe a lot of people's experience with Halfords.

Keith Oates

Janner
You should get out more, Uncle Mort;)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bazzadigz C+

welshcyclist said:
I have a Carrera Subway 8, and have experienced teething problems with the bike. The problem with the the Nexus 8 gears, only started with the 6 months service at Halfords, in the end they( Halfords ), replaced the back wheel completely, then I had a problem with punctures, even though the tyres were guaranteed with replacement, for any puncture in the first 12 months??? The truth is Halfords isn't your local bike shop, and it can't pretend to be, which it tries so hard to do, and in doing so tends to despoil the name of perfectly good bikes, like the Subway 8. Despite the early problems, caused by bad workmanship at Halfords, I persisted to commute with the Subay 8, and have achieved a good working relationship with the bike, it does the job.

However, I'm now commuting approx 39 miles roundtrip, and need to get something more in tune with that type of mileage, which is a mix of country/urban, but I have a great fondness for the Subway 8, which has got a bad name, I feel, simply because of the inexpertise of Halfords staff, which, I hasten to add, is not their fault. It is caused by Halfords itself, as an organisation, which puts sales first, above all else. How can a bike mechanic concentrate on your bike repair, when he/she is told they must attend to the sales desk at the same time????

Well that's my feeling with regard to the Subway 8, basically it's a great bike, even though it's been dissed on more than one forum, it took me to the next level of commuting, and I'm extremely grateful, and am still grateful in fact, because it'll be awhile before I can afford a replacement, that will take me to the next level again. Any suggestions???

I have to second the comments on the Subway8, for the £299 I paid for it (including free £100 worth of accessories) the bike was an absolute steal! the bike only needed to adjusted about 3 times in 3 years! the roller breaks are unique and the frame is good quality. Sadly i've been let down by the Premium Nexus 8 Hub :wacko:

bergkonig

Chain what's that? I have a kevlar belt on my bike, just like a Auto cam belt, good for 50,000 miles on a car (so how much on a bike???)
Have MB bike belt drive with Nexus Hub no problems (and no maintenance) on gears or brakes over ten years est 8 km a day

Jezston

Über Member
Can someone tell me why it is on forums you often get a new member suddenly appear out of nowhere and posts a reply to a thread that is several years dead?

Begkonig: did you join this forum after searching for 'nexus hub', or is there something weird going on here? Why did you chose to join just to comment on a thread that hasn't been posted in in almost three years?

I apologise if this is just an honest mistake, but I've often seen this behaviour with accounts that turn out to be spammers. Suddenly an ancient thread is revived by a new member simply posting "I agree!" or suchlike, then two days later that new member is flooding threads with spam.

Al548

Jezton, "Can someone tell me why it is on forums you often get a new member suddenly appear out of nowhere and posts a reply to a thread that is several years dead?"
Here am I over 5 years later, not a spammer, I was brought here by a Google search for 'Subway Nexus' as I have just bought a hardly used second hand Nexus Subway 8 and what a wealth of information there is here which I really appreciate. Just wanted to say thanks, but sorry to bother you Jezston if you are no longer interested in this 'dead' thread. Some forums automatically disable additional posts after a specified duration, or have a setting for users not to be notified of new posts if they have lost interest, but as for keeping the post open, I think it's great as it is a big help for people trying to find out what they need to know and I hope it is left open for any useful revival.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Jezton, "Can someone tell me why it is on forums you often get a new member suddenly appear out of nowhere and posts a reply to a thread that is several years dead?"
Here am I over 5 years later, not a spammer, I was brought here by a Google search for 'Subway Nexus' as I have just bought a hardly used second hand Nexus Subway 8 and what a wealth of information there is here which I really appreciate. Just wanted to say thanks, but sorry to bother you Jezston if you are no longer interested in this 'dead' thread. Some forums automatically disable additional posts after a specified duration, or have a setting for users not to be notified of new posts if they have lost interest, but as for keeping the post open, I think it's great as it is a big help for people trying to find out what they need to know and I hope it is left open for any useful revival.
We've not seen Jezton since 7 Dec 2013 either. :whistle:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4450563, member: 259"]He's probably still trying to fix that rear wheel puncture.[/QUOTE]

On his Frankenstein bike. Remember that. It was probably the ugliest forum member's bike I saw.

Top Bottom