Hub gear slipping on Brommie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PashleyPrincess

My Brommie has a three speed Sturmey Archer hub gear. In the last day or so the lowest gear has started slipping into a higher gear. I do use the low gear quite a bit as I live on a steep hill. As my Brommie is my transport I'd like to fix this without necessitating a lengthy repair in the bike shop.

Advice would be much appreciated :tongue:
Thanks.

The quickest way of telling you is Reading this the bit you need is 1/2 way down under cable adjustment.

jimboalee

The 'Indicator spindle' with the little chain on it has a plain diameter part which slides up and down inside the Sturmey axle.
Follow Sheldon's recommendation of 'fully in and then half a turn out'. [A quarter of a turn either way from this won't make much difference to the adjustment.]

With the hub in 2nd gear ( middle ), the end of the plain diameter shaft should be level with the end of the hub's spindle. This can be seen through the round porthole in the tracknut.

Jiggle the cable to see the plain diameter shaft move slightly out and then in. Adjust the cable adjuster to get the end of the plain diameter shaft flush with the end of the hub's axle.

Every time the wheel is removed and refitted, this operation must be done.

Top Bottom