Hub servicing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shady

Recently started overhauling the front and rear hubs on my MTB and after cleaning / regreasing etc, I have put the front wheel back on but its getting a lot of lateral movement.

I have double checked that the hub is centred on the axle and that all the locknuts are not overtight etc but it still wobbles especially at a certain point.

Could it be a few loose spokes?? As it seems to move out at a certain point whereas most of the way round it stays straight if i hold my finger to the rim when spinning the wheel.

Any help would be appreciated.

Shady :biggrin:

Chrisz

Über Member
When you hold it can you detect any lateral movement at the axle?

Also, did all the bearings go back in (I've dropped a few in the past!)?

If all the bearings went back correctly and you can't feel any movement at the axle then I'd go round the whole wheel and squeeze the spokes together in pairs to try and detect any lose ones.

OP
OP
S

Shady

There isnt any play in the axle, and all brand new bearings went back in with lots of grease.

Only seems to have appeared after the hub clean and rebuild - it is centred on the axle with the same amount of thread exposed on each side.

Only after installing the wheel back in the fork and spinning it that I noticed it move side to side - after holding my finger to the rim i noticed it moves mostly at a certain point.

90% of the way round it remains true but then kinks out for that 10% - could the spokes have loosened to create this wobble but they don't feel loose?

Top Bottom