HUMBER - head stem bottom bearing race query.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkN5075

Hello All, I have recently been lucky enough to fall in love with an old Humber which I am hoping to restore to its original glory. I am in need of some advice in relation to the bottom bearing race on the twin fork..... is it suppose to come off ? It appears to be plastic so I'm reluctant to use too much force before I know it definitely comes off. Further to this, are replacements easy enough to come by? I THINK it's a 1940s sports roaster? Thanks Mark

Attachments

• 16312720261911251368242.jpg
    16312720261911251368242.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 16

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The plastic bit will just be a dirt seal. The race itself is always hardened steel and is a very tight interference fit. That is a tricky one to remove because it doesn't overhang the edges, so you will need a crown race removal tool.

Pedal pusher

Veteran
The plastic bit will just be a dirt seal. The race itself is always hardened steel and is a very tight interference fit. That is a tricky one to remove because it doesn't overhang the edges, so you will need a crown race removal tool.
Go to RJ the bike guy on YouTube he shows you how to make one for pennies

OP
OP
MarkN5075

MarkN5075

Thanks everyone. Yes it does come off, I managed it with slipping a wood chisel bevel under each slide and lightly tapping on alternate sides. No cost and no damage.... Thanks again to all those who gave input.

Top Bottom