Hybrid Bike - €1500 Budget

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FCBarca

Looking for a modern, light & reliable hybrid/touring bike for the country side with a few criteria - Belt drive, disc brakes, lighting, rear carrier and flat handlebar. I have a short list of 6 bikes but reviews & feedback on pros/cons are difficult to identify - so was hoping some out there could weigh in or even propose alternatives I have not yet considered.

48muunsuors41.png
Cannondale Tesoro 1

ac9gvx9yors41.png
Ghost Square Urban X7.8 AL U

ese5mtv1prs41.png
Giant Anytour CS 1

mxuoaod5prs41.png
Kalkhoff Endeavour 8 Trekking

tao81qzbprs41.png
Vsf Fahrradmanufaktur TX-1200

3n0un4yjprs41.png
Marin Fairfax SC6 DLX ST

The Cannondale is the only one without a belt drive. The Ghost looks sharp and has a great reputation but the low profile of the handlebars & stem make me wonder if the Giant might not be ideal

roley poley

Über Member
:welcome: if you want to customise your gearing after purchase a belt drive bike is not as cheep as chain check the range you need before buying

You need a hub gear, which type, Alfine SRAM or Rohloff.

Belts need a tension system, either eccentric BB or sliding rear dropouts. I suspect that the latter are better but there are several designs of each.
Stick with rear brake on the seat stay for rack compatibility.
Upper rack eyelets seem to be in some weird locations in the above examples. If you have to angle the rack stays down you lose triangulation stiffness.

OP
OP
FCBarca

FCBarca

If you can get the TX 1200 for your budget, buy it - as far as I can see it's a way more expensive bike than that. (I don't think that's a 1200 in your picture, is it?)

Thank you for that, I copied the wrong photo (That was the 700)

1586935392035.png

roley poley

Über Member
I am not anti belt drive but I look and say what I see .You will need an engineered gap/gate in your frame for fitting and removal of the belt because you cant split a link perhaps save the money on that component for better bits elsewhere

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Can you elaborate? What is steel territory, a brand? Surely this doesn't mean in terms of the frame made of steel?
Yes of course I mean a Steel frame, a really nice one would be about twice your budget but a decent CrMo one (something from Spa cycles or Genesis) will be far better than anything in Aluminium or Plastic.

Top Bottom