Hybrid bike on cycle2work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ohm Sweet Ohm

Hi there

I'm thinking of buying a road / hybrid type bike on the cycle2work scheme. I am limited to buying from Halfords but I'm aware that most bikes can be sourced apart from what's on display in the shop.
I've seen 2 bikes that took my eye. The Boardman Urban Comp (£499) and Carrera Gryphon Disk (£349). I'm not by any means set on one of these two, but they were the ones that appealed to me in the shop.
I currently have a Trek navigator hybrid. This has 26in wheels and is big and heavy. Even flat out in top gear, I can only manage say 12-15mph. For my new bike I definitely want something that is more of a road focused bike.
I will be using it (I hope!) for commuting 15 miles each way..

Has anyone any comments on if the Boardman is worth the extra money? Or any other suggestions? I wouldn't really want to spend more that 500..

Thanks

Downward

Guru
How about the Kona Dew Hybrid for £299 and for the Nice weather get a Carrera Virtuosa Road bike for £329 ?

I know it's a bit over budget but 2 bikes for £630 will on the Cyclescheme cost you £37 a month (Less if your company can claim back VAT)

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
There may be a way around it but I think you can only buy one bike on the CTW?

I liked the look of the Gryphon but wonder if it may be too high geared for some of the steep hills I do on the commute home.

OP
OP
Ohm Sweet Ohm

Ohm Sweet Ohm

Yes I think your right. Both bikes that I liked the look off, fit that description don't they? I definitely want something that will get me moving faster.
I went back to Halfords before and both the Boardman and the Carrera still stood out to me and looked really nice bikes with similar specs (to my untrained eye). Is there something I'm overlooking that makes the Boardman worth £150 more?
Thanks for all the replies B)

Ivan Ardon

Two bikes were no problem when I got my Allez and a GT BMX last year.

joggingbob

My company uses the Halfords Cycle To Work scheme and 2 bikes can be provided, (the examples they used was summer bike and winter bike or bike A from home to station and bike B from station to work).

Downward

Guru
joggingbob said:
My company uses the Halfords Cycle To Work scheme and 2 bikes can be provided, (the examples they used was summer bike and winter bike or bike A from home to station and bike B from station to work).

Maybe Check the Cyclescheme Website see what it says.

Top Bottom